Maclaurin Series: Find Value of f(4)(0)

In summary, the Maclaurin series for a function f is given by \sum\frac{x^n}{2n}. To find the value of f(4)(0), the fourth derivative at x = 0, we can use the formula \frac{f^{(n)}(0)}{n!}x^n, where n is the power of x in the series. In this case, the fourth derivative, f(4)(0), can be found by equating the nth term of the series with \frac{f^{(n)}(0)}{n!}x^n, which gives us the value 0.
carlodelmundo

Homework Statement

The Maclaurin series for a function f is given by [tex]\sum\frac{x^n}{2n}[/tex]. What is the value of f(4)(0), the fourth derivative of at x = 0?

a.) 1
b.) 2
c.) 3
d.) 4
e.) 5

Homework Equations

The Maclaurin Series is the infinite series centered at x = 0 with the following formula:

f(x) = f(0) + f'(0)x + [tex]\frac{f''(0)x^2}{2!}[/tex] + [tex]\frac{f^n (0)x^n}{n!}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried differentiating the series starting from f(x) to f4(x) Here is my work:

f(x) = [tex]\sum[/tex][tex]\frac{x^n}{2n}[/tex]f'(x) = [tex]\sum[/tex][tex]\frac{x^{n-1}}{2}[/tex]f''(x) = [tex]\sum[/tex][tex]\frac{(n-1)x^{n-2}}{2}[/tex]
f'''(x) = [tex]\sum[/tex][tex]\frac{(n-1)(n-2)x^{n-3}}{2}[/tex]f4(x) = [tex]\sum[/tex][tex]\frac{(n-1)(n-2)(n-3)x^{n-4}}{2}[/tex]
Therefore:

f4(0) = [tex]\sum[/tex][tex]\frac{(n-1)(n-2)(n-3)(0)}{2}[/tex] = 0.

0 is not in the answer choice. I would like hints please, not answers... what am I doing wrong?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Depends on the limit of the sum. Say I gave you [itex]x^5+x^4+x^3+x^2+x+1=\sum_{n=0}^5 x^n[/itex] and asked you what the derivative at zero was, you wouldn't say its zero would you?

I think you are making this much too complicated!

The nth term of a MacLaurin series is, as you say,
[tex]\frac{f^{(n)}(0)}{n!}x^n[/tex].

If a power series is [itex]\sum a_nx^n[/itex], then
[tex]\frac{f^{(n)}(0)}{n!}x^n= a_n x^n[/tex]
so
[tex]f^{(n)}(0)= n!a_n[/tex]

In your example, [itex]a_n= 1/2n[/itex].

Thank you. I see what I did wrong now then. I didn't know we can be able to equate the nth term of the MacLaurin with the series.

Thanks again!

1. What is a Maclaurin series?

A Maclaurin series is a type of power series expansion that represents a function as a sum of terms involving powers of the variable, evaluated at a specific point. It can be used to approximate the value of a function at a given point.

2. How do you find the value of f(4)(0) using a Maclaurin series?

To find the value of f(4)(0) (the fourth derivative of the function at x=0) using a Maclaurin series, we can use the formula: f(4)(0) = n! * an, where n is the degree of the term and an is the coefficient of that term in the Maclaurin series.

3. Why is it useful to find the value of f(4)(0) using a Maclaurin series?

Finding the value of f(4)(0) using a Maclaurin series allows us to approximate the value of a function at x=0 without having to use complicated derivatives or integration methods. It is also useful for solving problems in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields.

4. Can a Maclaurin series be used to find values of f(x) at points other than x=0?

Yes, a Maclaurin series can be used to find values of f(x) at points other than x=0 by using the Maclaurin series formula and substituting the desired value of x in place of 0. However, the accuracy of the approximation may decrease as the distance from x=0 increases.

5. Are there any limitations to using a Maclaurin series to find values of f(4)(0)?

Yes, there are limitations to using a Maclaurin series, such as the series may not converge for all values of x, and the accuracy of the approximation may decrease as x gets further away from 0. It is also important to ensure that the function is continuous and differentiable at x=0 for the Maclaurin series to be valid.