1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Maclaurin Series

1. Oct 10, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

How can I calculate it for [tex]\frac{1}{1+cos^2(x)}[/tex] by using the fact that [tex]\frac{1}{1+x^2} = 1 - x^2 + x^4 - ...[/tex]?

2. Relevant equations

Given in the problem.

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried letting u = cos(x), then

[tex]\frac{1}{1+cos^2(x)} = \frac{1}{1+u^2} = 1 - u^2 + u^4 - ... = 1 - cos^2(x) + cos^4(x) - ...[/tex]

But I don't think this is right because the first term should be 0.5, not 1... and I don't see how a -0.5 might pop out of this series of cos terms....and even if it somehow does, I think this question is not meant to be that difficult...

The answer I am trying to get is [tex]\frac{1}{2} + \frac{1}{4}x^2 + ...[/tex]

Any ideas?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 10, 2009 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Use cos(x)=1-x^2/2!+x^4/4!-... to express the first few terms of the series for 1+cos(x)^2. Then, sure, use your geometric series. Feel free to drop terms that you know won't be important.

4. Oct 10, 2009 #3
    I don't follow, could you spell it out a bit more?

So [tex]cos^2(x) = 1-x^2+\frac{1}{3}x^4-...[/tex]

Now what?

Thanks

5. Oct 10, 2009 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Alright. So now you've got 1/(1+1-x^2+x^4/3+...). That's 1/(2-x^2/+x^4/3...). Write it as (1/2)*1/(1-(x^2/2-x^4/6...)). Now use 1/(1-a)=1+a+a^2+... with a=x^2/2-x^4/6+... If you only want a quadratic approximation then you didn't need to keep the x^4 stuff, right?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook