Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Maclaurin series

1. Nov 15, 2004 #1
    Im helping my sis study for her exam but i can't remember how to find the first four non-zero terms of the maclaurin series

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 15, 2004 #2
    I believe the the Maclaurin Series is given by the equation

[tex]

f(x) = f(0) + f'(0)x + \frac{f''(0)x^2}{2!} + \frac{f'''(0)x^3}{3!} + \frac{f^(4) (0)x^4}{4!} + ... + \frac{f^(n) (0)x^n}{n!} + ...

[/tex]

So in order for you to know the first four terms of the series, you need to know what [tex] f(a), f'(a), f''(a) [/tex] and [tex] f'''(a) [/tex] and then plug in a=0 in their respective formulas/equations.

Then just plug them in the equation of the Maclaruin Series.

Hope this helps. :biggrin:

4. Nov 16, 2004 #3
    the first four non-zero terms will then be for those terms for which fn(0) is not zero.

5. Nov 16, 2004 #4
    Oh yeah, forgot about that. When using the formula, if any of the terms you encounter are zero, you must proceed to the next and check if it is non-zero. Ex: If [tex] f''(0) = 0 [/tex] then you must proceed and check whether [tex] f'''(0) = 0 [/tex] and so on

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?