1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Maclaurin series

1. Apr 8, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

for this question, i found that my coefficient of x^4 is wrong... after applying the maclaurin series formula, i would get the coefficient of X^4 is -5/96.... but the exact ans is -1/96... can anyone check which part is wrong?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 8, 2014 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

For one thing y''(0)=(-1/2) not (+1/2). Can you check how you got that? I think you made an algebra mistake. Then can you spell out how you got y'''(0) and y''''(0) a little more clearly?

Last edited: Apr 8, 2014
  4. Apr 9, 2014 #3
    this is actually the question from my book(gt it from my senior), do u mean the proving part, the third term is -1/2 y^2 ?? for y'''(0) and y''''(0) , i differentiate the equation y(d2y/dx2) + (dy/dx)^2 + 1/2y^2 a few times to get y''' and y'''' .... refer to the photo attached...

Attached Files:

5. Apr 9, 2014 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The photo you attached seems to be from a different problem and what you have in the original statement is pretty hard to read. I think if you do it again more carefully you should get the correct answer.

6. Apr 12, 2014 #5
    can you check my working again? i checked it many times but i just cant dont know where's my mistake

7. Apr 12, 2014 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I told you a long time ago. y''(0) should be -1/2, not +1/2. Didn't you check that?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted