1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Maclaurin Series

1. May 26, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the Maclaurin series of ##\int_{0}^{x} \cos{t^2} \cdot dt ##

2. Relevant equations
    3. The attempt at a solution

I normally have some idea how to go about solving these but for this one I just can't figure out where to start. I tried doing it with ##\int_{0}^{x} \cos{t}\cdot dt ## and then after evaluating that series replacing ##x## with ##x^2## but that didn't work at all. I checked what the integral of the original function was on wolfram alpha and it looked quite complicated so I'm assuming I'm supposed to calculate the integral of a simpler function then replace the x but I can't figure out what the simpler function is.

2. jcsd
  3. May 26, 2015 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Write the Maclaurin series for cos(t2), then integrate that series term-by-term to get the Maclaurin series of the integral you posted. Finally, evaluate your series at x and at 0, just like you would normally do with a definite integral.

4. May 26, 2015 #3
    Okay so $$\cos{t}=1-\frac{1}{2!}t^2+\frac{1}{4!}t^4-\frac{1}{6!}t^6+...\\
    \cos{t^2}=1-\frac{1}{2!}t^4+\frac{1}{4!}t^8-\frac{1}{6!}t^{12}+... \\
    \int_{0}^{x} \cos{t^2}\cdot dt=\int_{0}^{x} (1-\frac{1}{2!}t^4+\frac{1}{4!}t^8-\frac{1}{6!}t^{12}+...)dt \\
    \int_{0}^{x} \cos{t^2} \cdot dt=x-\frac{1}{5*2!}x^5+\frac{1}{9*4!}x^9-\frac{1}{12*6!}x^{13}+... \\
    \int_{0}^{x} \cos{t^2} \cdot dt=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^n x^{4n+1}}{(4n+1)!(2n)!} $$
    Thanks this ended up giving the correct answer.

5. May 27, 2015 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Alternatively: if ##f(x) = \int_0^x \cos (t^2) \, dt## the Maclauren series is
    [tex] f(0) + f'(0) x + \frac{1}{2!} f''(0) x^2 + \cdots,[/tex]
    whose terms are easy to get, since
    [tex] \begin{array}{rcl}
    f(0) &=& \int_0^0 \cos (t^2) \, dt = 0\\
    f'(x) &=& \cos (x^2) \; \Rightarrow f'(0) = \cos^2(0) = 1 \\
    f''(x) &=& \frac{d}{dx} \cos(x^2) = -2 x \sin(x^2) \; \Rightarrow f''(0) = 0 \\
    &\vdots&
    \end{array}
    [/tex]
    In fact, ##f'(0), f''(0), \ldots## are just the coefficients in the Maclauren expansion of ##\cos(x^2)##, multiplied by the appropriate factorial.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted