Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Macro pictures

1. Aug 6, 2009 #1
    It's a great joy to capture small creatures big on the screen without them even noticing it. There are several ways to do that. I used to utilize my old Panasonic FZ-18 bridge camera with a close up lens. Preferably #2 or 2 dioptries or 50 cm focus distance, with a moderate zoom 8-12x you get nice results.

Then came the Canon 450D and the same close up lens on the 70-300mm tele zoom at around 220 mm focus would give roughly the same magnification and shooting distance, however it's a lot to carry all day.

Then I decided to go for the 100mm macro lens, which is a bit a beast to handle with the large focus range. I kept wondering however if it was worthwhile. So today I did some comparison shots of a small (ca 5mm) spider and Althea flowers with all three configurations, all free hand. I compared 100% crops of the three, left the FZ18 with close up lens. In the center the canon with 100mm macro and to the right the70-300 zoom with close up lens. I think I'm happy with the 100mm macro lens, while it's not a good idea to use the tele with close up lens instead. Although I may settle for the FZ-18, if dragging equipment around was a factor.

All are unedited original jpgs

Original with the FZ18 (20% size):

312zdjk.jpg

The 100% crops:

k2gra.jpg

Original with the FZ18 (20% size):

4l2fti.jpg

The 100% crops

358rvc4.jpg

Notice little difference in the petal due to the limited depth of field. But notice the difference of the pollen grains on the stamen.

Anybody with similar experiences?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 6, 2009 #2
    If you can properly take macro shots while maintaining technical photography then its a really great and rewarding thing to do. I really like pictures of water drops sometimes u can get reflections in them i think that is amazing

4. Aug 6, 2009 #3

turbo

Gold Member

That 100mm macro is a sweet lens, Andre. I've been thinking about getting one, but nobody in the US has them in stock. They're back-ordered.

5. Aug 6, 2009 #4

Ben Niehoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I have Nikon's 105mm macro and it's pretty sweet. I haven't made a trip to go chase bugs with it yet, but I'll see if I can do that soon and share.

Here's one I made using my kitchen table as a studio. I reversed a 20mm lens in front of the 105mm macro, giving me approximately 5:1 magnification (and a very short working distance), although the image is not very sharp, so I probably won't use this configuration again in the future. This is coarse table salt (the kind that you put in a salt grinder):

3613117142_0e1d79108c.jpg

6. Aug 6, 2009 #5
    @Sorry!, great idea, I intend to try that tomorrow and post the results,

@Turbo, yes I'm quite happy with that glass. Curious that withdrawal. They are in stock here.

@Ben, yes the Nikon 105 is great glass, a direct comparison between Nikon and Canon is alway interesting. Pixel counting Canon wins according to that site but Nikon has vibration reduction and that's a big pro.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook