Solving Macrobodies in MCNP: Using HEX Card in MCNP Input

• Thread starter Rowayda
  • Start date
  • Tags
    mcnp
In summary, the conversation discusses using the HEX card in MCNP input and the difficulties in understanding its definition. The primer on using MCNP provides information on using macrobodies and additional tutorials are available for reference. The questioner also mentions encountering an issue with the fill card and considering writing it as rows instead of a matrix.
Rowayda
How to use HEX card in MCNP input, i couldn't figure out its definition?

Technology news on Phys.org
Here's a primer on using MCNP:

http://www.nucleonica.net/wiki/images/6/6b/MCNPprimer.pdf

Search for HEX (RHP) and a topic comes up that explains how to use macrobodies in general using RCC as an example.

And here's some tutorials that may help:

http://www.mcnpvised.com/sample_exercises/sample_exercises.html [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks so much, it was helping, now I'm trying to write the input file and I counter something with the fill card, I tried to write it as matrix but I got confused should it be better to write it as rows ?

I can't say for sure try searching for some examples to see what others have done.

1. What is MCNP and how is it used in solving macrobodies?

MCNP (Monte Carlo N-Particle) is a computer code used for simulating and analyzing nuclear and radiation systems. It uses the Monte Carlo method to track the movement and interactions of particles within a given geometry. In solving macrobodies, MCNP is used to calculate the transport of radiation through a complex system of macroscopic bodies.

2. What is a HEX card and how does it assist in solving macrobodies?

A HEX card is a special input card in MCNP that allows for the modeling of macroscopic bodies in a more efficient way. It allows the user to define specific material compositions and densities, as well as the shape and size of the macrobody. This helps in accurately representing the geometry of the system and reducing computational time.

3. What are the key considerations when using the HEX card in MCNP to solve macrobodies?

One key consideration is the accuracy of the material composition and density inputs. Any errors or uncertainties in these values can greatly affect the results. Another important factor is the size and shape of the macrobody, as this can impact the transport of radiation through the system. It is also important to carefully review the geometry and make sure it accurately represents the system being modeled.

4. Are there any limitations to using the HEX card in MCNP for solving macrobodies?

Yes, there are some limitations to consider. One is that the HEX card is only applicable for simulating macroscopic bodies, and cannot be used for microscopic objects. Additionally, the use of the HEX card may not be necessary for simple geometries or systems with few macrobodies. It is important to assess the specific needs of the simulation before deciding to use the HEX card.

5. Are there any tips for effectively using the HEX card in MCNP for solving macrobodies?

Yes, there are a few tips to keep in mind. First, it is helpful to thoroughly understand the input parameters for the HEX card and how they affect the simulation. It is also recommended to use the appropriate units for each parameter to avoid errors. Additionally, it can be beneficial to verify the results with other methods or simulations to ensure accuracy.