1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Macroscopic quantum model

1. Oct 9, 2007 #1
    [SOLVED] Macroscopic quantum model

I'm supposed to calculate the quantum number of a macroscopic system (The earth and a satellite).

I should assume that the satellite is moving in a circular motion around earth, and that it fulfills the same quantization conditions as the Bohr model of the Hydrogen atom.

So far, I started by calculating the total energy of the system, but using a gravitational potential instead of the Coulomb potential, which gives me a total energy of:

Then, by using the centripetal force and the gravitational force (to find an equilibrium between the two), I got:

Substituting this into the energy expression gives:

The total energy then becomes:

... After this, I'm stuck. As far as I can see (using the book that I have in this course), Bohr postulated that the emitted radiation from the hydrogen atom has a frequency which is given by:

... Where [tex]E_{n}[/tex] is given by:

My thought was that the total energy expression which I calculated must be for a specific value of n, so what I tried was to set my expression equal to [tex]E_{n}[/tex] and then calculate the quantum number n from this relationship. This yielded:

...However, I'm not even sure that this is a reasonable approach. What especially bothers me is the Rydberg Constant. Can I use a standardized value on this, or do I have to recalculate it so that it too depends on a gravitational force?

I'm really stuck on this one (I think)... Any help is truly appreciated!
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 9, 2007 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Bohr used the quantization condition that the angular momentum of the "orbitting" electron be an integer multiple of [itex]\hbar [/itex]. I imagine you are expected to apply the same condition to the orbitting satellite.
  4. Oct 9, 2007 #3
    Well, that sure reduced the calculations a lot :P
    Thanks for the help!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?