Macroscopic quantum model

In summary, the energy of a system consisting of the Earth and a satellite is -G\frac{mM}{2r} due to the gravitational force.
December
[SOLVED] Macroscopic quantum model

Hi!
I'm supposed to calculate the quantum number of a macroscopic system (The Earth and a satellite).

I should assume that the satellite is moving in a circular motion around earth, and that it fulfills the same quantization conditions as the Bohr model of the Hydrogen atom.

So far, I started by calculating the total energy of the system, but using a gravitational potential instead of the Coulomb potential, which gives me a total energy of:

[tex]E=mr^{2}\omega^{2}-G\frac{mM}{r}[/tex]

Then, by using the centripetal force and the gravitational force (to find an equilibrium between the two), I got:

[tex]G\frac{mM}{r^{2}}=mr\omega^{2}[/tex]

Substituting this into the energy expression gives:

[tex]E=\frac{1}{2}G\frac{mM}{r}-G\frac{mM}{r}[/tex]

The total energy then becomes:

[tex]E=-G\frac{mM}{2r}[/tex]

... After this, I'm stuck. As far as I can see (using the book that I have in this course), Bohr postulated that the emitted radiation from the hydrogen atom has a frequency which is given by:

[tex]E_{n}-E_{n'}=hf[/tex]

... Where [tex]E_{n}[/tex] is given by:

[tex]E_{n}=-\frac{Rhc}{n^{2}}[/tex]

My thought was that the total energy expression which I calculated must be for a specific value of n, so what I tried was to set my expression equal to [tex]E_{n}[/tex] and then calculate the quantum number n from this relationship. This yielded:

[tex]n=\sqrt{\frac{2rRhc}{GmM}}[/tex]

...However, I'm not even sure that this is a reasonable approach. What especially bothers me is the Rydberg Constant. Can I use a standardized value on this, or do I have to recalculate it so that it too depends on a gravitational force?

I'm really stuck on this one (I think)... Any help is truly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Bohr used the quantization condition that the angular momentum of the "orbitting" electron be an integer multiple of [itex]\hbar [/itex]. I imagine you are expected to apply the same condition to the orbitting satellite.

Well, that sure reduced the calculations a lot :P
Thanks for the help!

What is a macroscopic quantum model?

A macroscopic quantum model is a theoretical framework that attempts to explain and predict the behavior of macroscopic systems using principles from quantum mechanics. This means that it seeks to understand how objects at a large scale, such as everyday objects, can exhibit quantum phenomena such as superposition and entanglement.

How does a macroscopic quantum model differ from a microscopic one?

A macroscopic quantum model differs from a microscopic one in terms of the scale of the systems being studied. While a microscopic model focuses on the behavior of individual particles and atoms, a macroscopic model looks at the collective behavior of a large number of these particles. This can lead to different predictions and explanations for certain phenomena.

What are some examples of macroscopic quantum systems?

Some examples of macroscopic quantum systems include superconductors, superfluids, and Bose-Einstein condensates. These systems exhibit quantum behavior at a larger scale, such as zero resistance in superconductors and the ability to flow without friction in superfluids.

What are the challenges in developing a macroscopic quantum model?

One of the main challenges in developing a macroscopic quantum model is the issue of decoherence. This is when quantum systems interact with their environment, causing them to lose their quantum properties and behave classically. Another challenge is the complexity of these systems, which can make it difficult to accurately model and predict their behavior.

What are the potential applications of a macroscopic quantum model?

A macroscopic quantum model has the potential to lead to new technologies and applications, such as quantum computing and quantum cryptography. It could also help us better understand and control complex systems, such as biological processes, and improve our understanding of the fundamental laws of nature.