Macroscopic vs. microscopic continuity equation

D}{Dt} \left( \sum_{i=1}^N \delta(\vec{r}-\vec{q}_i(t)) \right) = \frac{\partial}{\partial t} \left( \sum_{i=1}^N \delta(\vec{r}-\vec{q}_i(t)) \right) + \vec{v} \cdot \nabla \left( \sum_{i=1}^N \delta(\vec{r}-\vec{q}_i(t)) \right)Using the properties of the delta function, we can simplify this to:\sum_{i=1}^N \frac{D}{Dt} \delta
Shadowz

Homework Statement

Derive a microscopic version of the continuity equation given
[tex] \rho(\vec{r},t) = \sum_{i=1}^N \delta(\vec{r}-\vec{q}_i(t))[/tex]

and [tex]\rho[/tex] is dynamic variables

Homework Equations

I wonder if someone can point out the difference (in general) between the macroscopic and microscopic continuity equation. In addition, the given definition of [tex]\rho[/tex] here is a delta function but only depends on q, but not p. Why is that?

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that
[tex]\frac{dM}{dt} = \int_V -\nabla (\rho \vec{v}) = \int_V \frac{\partial \rho}{\partial t}dr [/tex]

and get [tex]\frac{\partial \rho}{\partial t} = -\nabla (\rho\vec{v})[/tex]
I am not sure if that's what the answer should be? Should it be more specific?

Thanks,

Physics news on Phys.org

I can provide some clarification and additional information regarding the continuity equation and its macroscopic and microscopic versions.

Firstly, the continuity equation is a fundamental equation in fluid dynamics that describes the conservation of mass in a fluid system. It states that the rate of change of mass in a given volume is equal to the net flow of mass into or out of that volume. In mathematical form, it can be written as:
\frac{\partial \rho}{\partial t} + \nabla \cdot (\rho \vec{v}) = 0
where \rho is the density of the fluid and \vec{v} is the velocity field.

The macroscopic version of the continuity equation is the one commonly used in fluid dynamics, where the density \rho is treated as a continuous variable. This version is applicable to systems where the fluid is well-mixed and the individual particles are not distinguishable. In this case, the density is a function of space and time, and the equation describes the conservation of mass at a macroscopic level.

On the other hand, the microscopic version of the continuity equation is derived for systems where the fluid is composed of individual particles that can be distinguished from one another. In this case, the density \rho is a function of the positions and velocities of these particles, and the equation describes the conservation of mass at a microscopic level.

To derive the microscopic version of the continuity equation, we can start with the equation given in the forum post:
\rho(\vec{r},t) = \sum_{i=1}^N \delta(\vec{r}-\vec{q}_i(t))
where \vec{q}_i(t) is the position of the ith particle at time t. This equation states that the density at a given point is equal to the sum of delta functions centered at the positions of all the particles.

To incorporate the velocity field \vec{v} into this equation, we can use the concept of material derivative, which takes into account the change in density due to the motion of the particles. This can be written as:
\frac{D\rho}{Dt} = \frac{\partial \rho}{\partial t} + \vec{v} \cdot \nabla \rho
where \frac{D}{Dt} represents the material derivative.

Substituting the expression for \rho from the forum post into this equation, we get:
\

What is the difference between macroscopic and microscopic continuity equation?

The macroscopic continuity equation describes the overall behavior of a fluid on a large scale, such as the flow of a river or air in a room. It is based on the principle of conservation of mass and does not take into account individual particles or their motion. On the other hand, the microscopic continuity equation considers the behavior of individual particles and their interactions, such as in molecular dynamics simulations.

How are macroscopic and microscopic continuity equations related?

The macroscopic continuity equation can be derived from the microscopic continuity equation by taking the average behavior of a large number of particles. This is known as the ensemble average and allows for a simplified description of fluid behavior on a larger scale.

What are the limitations of the macroscopic continuity equation?

The macroscopic continuity equation assumes that the fluid is continuous and does not account for any changes in density or composition at a microscopic level. It is also limited in its ability to describe highly turbulent or chaotic flows.

How is the continuity equation used in fluid dynamics?

The continuity equation is a fundamental principle in fluid dynamics and is used to describe the behavior of fluids in various applications, such as in engineering and environmental sciences. It is often used in conjunction with other equations, such as the Navier-Stokes equations, to model and analyze fluid flow.

Can the continuity equation be applied to all types of fluids?

Yes, the continuity equation can be applied to all types of fluids, including liquids, gases, and even plasmas. However, the specific form of the equation may vary depending on the type of fluid and the assumptions made about its behavior.