Mad About Physics: Examining Braintwister No. 90 - The Three Hole Can

In summary, the conversation discusses the claim made in the book "Mad About Physics" that water will shoot farthest horizontally from the middle hole of a cylindrical can with three identical holes. The participants question if there is a trick to the problem or if it is consistent with everyday experience. They also discuss variations of the problem and share personal experiences related to physics demonstrations. The conversation ends with a reference to using calculus to find the maximum range in a similar problem.
TVP45
Does anyone own the Jargodzki and Potter book Mad About Physics? If so, could you examine braintwister no. 90, the three hole can? They seem to claim that, if you have a cylindrical can filled with water and there are three identical holes, one near the top, one near the middle, and one near the bottom, that the water will shoot the farthest horizontally from the middle one.

What is the "trick" here? Have I missed a clever wording?

Physics news on Phys.org
No trick. Did you read the solution in the back of the book? The calculation is straightforward.

I'm sorry. Poorly worded question. Why would someone be puzzled by this? It seems consistent with ordinary experience (except for the problem of crossing streams - that seems like more of a braintwister).

I guess if you've never had the experience, it might not be obvious that the illustration is incorrect and that it's the middle stream that goes the farthest. When I first came across this problem (a gazillion years ago) I had to do the calculation to fully understand it.

Maybe you're just too smart! :smile:

I suspect I'm too literal. I often don't get satire (On the good side, that makes it hard to insult me) or jokes.

Thanks. I just needed a second set of eyes to point out the puzzle.

TVP45 said:
Does anyone own the Jargodzki and Potter book Mad About Physics? If so, could you examine braintwister no. 90, the three hole can? They seem to claim that, if you have a cylindrical can filled with water and there are three identical holes, one near the top, one near the middle, and one near the bottom, that the water will shoot the farthest horizontally from the middle one.

What is the "trick" here? Have I missed a clever wording?

I don't have the book. Is this an optimization problem of initial horizontal velocity vs. initial height? Is the can placed on the ground? If you hold it up it, could it change the result?

A.T. said:
I don't have the book. Is this an optimization problem of initial horizontal velocity vs. initial height? Is the can placed on the ground? If you hold it up it, could it change the result?
Sure. That would make an interesting variation, that is, putting legs on the can.

TVP45 said:
I suspect I'm too literal. I often don't get satire (On the good side, that makes it hard to insult me) or jokes.
Well then, I guess that I won't be conversing with you much. :wink:

TVP45 said:

Some may have noticed that about me as well.:biggrin:

Danger said:
Well then, I guess that I won't be conversing with you much. :wink:

Actually, your post jogged my memory and I realized why I knew which hole would spurt the farthest. When I was a kid, we used to shoot holes in 55 gallon rain barrels. Thank god the steam trains went away just about the time I got my first gun or I'd probably have tried the water tanks for those.:biggrin:

Glad to see you're staying one step ahead of the Mounties.

Too cool. :rofl:
Despite your denial, you obviously have a great sense of humour.

TVP45 said:
Actually, your post jogged my memory and I realized why I knew which hole would spurt the farthest. When I was a kid, we used to shoot holes in 55 gallon rain barrels. Thank god the steam trains went away just about the time I got my first gun or I'd probably have tried the water tanks for those.:biggrin:

Glad to see you're staying one step ahead of the Mounties.

There is no better way to demonstrate the joys and laws of physics to youth than the after effects of high pressure gas expansions via exothermic chemical reactions.

Born2bwire said:
There is no better way to demonstrate the joys and laws of physics to youth than the after effects of high pressure gas expansions via exothermic chemical reactions.

Hence my diet of beans and beer.

Danger said:
Too cool. :rofl:
Despite your denial, you obviously have a great sense of humour.

So, do you wonder why just the sight of a post from you reminded me of doing something I absolutely should not have been doing?:blushing:

TVP45 said:
So, do you wonder why just the sight of a post from you reminded me of doing something I absolutely should not have been doing?:blushing:

Naw... I'm getting used to it.

Born2bwire said:

I took physics back in the dark ages before safety regs and political correctness. My General Physics professor had several demos in which he used a rifle. Gone are those days...

I remember getting a physics question in an assignment that was kind of like this, but we had to use calculus to find the maximum range. You end up finding that the velocity is as if the water had fallen that distance due to gravity, then you also find that the middle is the best hight because of range being the maximum.

What is "Mad About Physics: Examining Braintwister No. 90 - The Three Hole Can"?

"Mad About Physics: Examining Braintwister No. 90 - The Three Hole Can" is a braintwister challenge that involves a can with three holes of different sizes. The challenge is to figure out how to pour liquid from one hole into another without spilling any.

What is the purpose of this braintwister?

The purpose of this braintwister is to test your understanding of basic physics principles such as pressure, fluid dynamics, and surface tension. It also challenges your critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

How can I solve this braintwister?

There are various ways to solve this braintwister, but one possible solution is to fill the can with liquid and use your finger to cover the smallest hole. Then, tilt the can so that the liquid flows out of the bigger hole. Once the liquid is flowing, remove your finger from the smaller hole to let air in and equalize the pressure, allowing the liquid to flow smoothly into the second hole.

What physics concepts are involved in this braintwister?

As mentioned before, this braintwister involves principles of pressure, fluid dynamics, and surface tension. The pressure inside the can is affected by the size of the holes and the height of the liquid, while the flow of the liquid is influenced by the surface tension and the shape and size of the holes.

What are some real-world applications of this braintwister?

Understanding the physics principles involved in this braintwister can have practical applications in various fields such as engineering, fluid dynamics, and packaging design. It can also be used as a fun and interactive way to teach physics concepts to students or to challenge your problem-solving skills in a playful way.