Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Made in China? Danger! Throw it away

1. Jun 28, 2007 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Made in China? Danger! Throw it away!!!

More gifts from the Chinese manufacturers.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 28, 2007 #2

Gold Member

China is the "wild west" of manufacturing as western companies set up factories and/or set up import arrangements with entities in a country with little or no enforceable safety regulations and exploit the poor wages/benefits/work rules to make fortunes quickly. My wife was in a strip mall today and popped into a newish "dollar store" type of outlet to take a look. Her first comment to me was that almost everything in the store came from China and she's not going back.
  4. Jun 28, 2007 #3
    There is just so much stuff made in China it is scary. I am remodeling one of my bathrooms. My wife picked out a modest ($500) vanity with a granite top.

We got the thing home and only then did I see the made in China label on the back of the box. I started looking at other items I had purchased; a light switch, a ground fault circuit interrupter , two ceramic tile cutters and all were made in China.

The Leviton switch and GFCI were the two that really surprised me. At both Home Depot and Lowes all of the electrical items were made in China. So are most all of the tools. hells bells even the nails are made in China.:grumpy:

Sure we can get products cheaper, but don't tell me that I have a choice when everything is made in China. In a few years we won't even know how to build a factory.

As far as the food items go: First it was the dog food, then the toothpaste, then the lead in children's toys, now we hear this:

Sure they shut down some food factories, but most of the factories that China has shut down are here in the good old USA.
  5. Jun 28, 2007 #4

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Another reason to eat fresh real food. :approve:

Remember, the US has it's problems too...
  6. Jun 28, 2007 #5
    As a fellow Indian, we offer you to buy from the world-famous megacorporation, India Inc. For a limited time only, we are offering discounts on all rotis, samosas, and software packages. So remember, buy from India Inc, the awesome guys o:)

On a more serious note, the level of manufacturing in China is abysmal. Their whole quantity over quality approach has spread from their military ideology textbooks to their factories. Right now, I'm wondering whether that package of Tilapia (the best tasting fish in the entire world) sitting in the freezer is safe to eat, and whether that reddish tint in the fish is industrial dye.
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2007
  7. Jun 29, 2007 #6
    As far as I know most of the tilapia sold in the U.S. is grown on fish farms in this country. Ironically even some of the fish food sold to commercial growers contained the same contaminant from China that was found in the dog food.:yuck:
  8. Jun 29, 2007 #7

Staff: Mentor

China To Execute Chief Food Inspector

9. Jun 30, 2007 #8
    There have been so many threads complianing about the quality of goods from China, but what I don't understand is why are there no import regulations in U.S., and if there are any how does all this stuff enter U.S. markets?
  10. Jun 30, 2007 #9

So much is imported into the US every day that it would not be feaseable to open and chemically test even a fraction of what comes across the border. So, unless there is some suspicion about a shipment, the items are passed through without inspection.

As you can see in the attached Customs process, a company can have their product "pre-approved" by providing test results of a sample their product that they paid to have done at a lab of their choice to show that their product is in compliance. :eek: See "IMPORTERS CAN SPEED FOOD ENTRIES!" at the bottom of the document.

11. Jun 30, 2007 #10

Gold Member

You can buy a pallet load of cheap Chinese goods and sell them for 10 times the buy price, the stuff is junk but it sells like hot cakes.
    example, a bag of 10 of each plastic knives ,spoons ,forks, buy about 5p
    sell 50p.

I thought the thread was about Danger.
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2007
  12. Jun 30, 2007 #11

:rofl: Yeah Danger's been buying a lot of cheap stuff from China and Ivan wants him to throw it away. :biggrin:
  13. Jun 30, 2007 #12

Science Advisor

I saw a story similar to the one Ivan posted on a couple of months ago. It was about toothpaste that was bought in dollar stores that was loaded with fluorine. If there is ever a time that brand recognition is worth the extra couple of bucks, this is it.
  14. Jun 30, 2007 #13
    If this selling out of our own home grown labour keeps going then soon we will (the West) be in serious trouble. Eventually I wonder if we'll be in a market where the consumers 'answer' to the manufacturers.

God help us if a war breaks out between the West and China (I'm not saying it will) we won't know how to build anything and they'll have all the expertise at manufacturing!

As a race though I like them personally, just wish they were a bit more human rights orientated.
  15. Jun 30, 2007 #14
    As I mentioned previously I am remodeling a bathroom. I decided to replace the nails in the old Sheetrock with screws. I went to home depot and got some, guess where they were made?

So were the; nails, hinges, and all of the cabinet hardware. Talk about our industry going down the crapper, Home Depot is now selling toilets made in China.:cry: Oh well, we still make the toilet paper, at least for now.
  16. Jun 30, 2007 #15
    That's why... Last time I was at a home depot, I felt like it was a walmart...

I think that at Ace Hardware and Radioshack there are some things that aren't made in China... I'll check sometime.
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2007
  17. Jul 1, 2007 #16

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm just about finished with installing a solar water heating system, which was a wild plumbing experience itself. Nearly everything I got at Home Depot or Lowes was made in China. The copper and brass fittings available at the local hardware stores ("Ace" and "True Value" franchises) were made in USA, but it would have increased my total cost by nearly $200 if I had bought them there.

In retrospect, I'm irritated with myself for being part of the whole problem. I saved approximately 5% of the entire cost by buying Chinese fittings. That's not even figuring in the 30% (of total cast) tax credit I get from the IRS. Unfortunately, all the fittings are soldered in place, and I can't return them.
  18. Jul 1, 2007 #17

Gold Member

Check the garden tools at Ace - most likely from Taiwan. Certainly, many of the tools at the local True-Value stores come from there, and have for many years.
  19. Jul 1, 2007 #18

Homework Helper

My friend cautioned me against eating some melon seeds that came from China. Apparently, these melon seeds were guaranteed to remain preserved for over 2 years. The secret sauce? Formaldehyde. :yuck:
  20. Jul 1, 2007 #19
    Will it ever end. I had no idea that China was this involved in our food supply.

Probably that damn Chinese wheat gluten again.

They didn't look for contaminants. :yuck::yuck:
  21. Jul 1, 2007 #20

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There's another (and IMHO far more plausible) reading of that quote... :tongue:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?