Made in USA Markings: Is Brass Still Being Made in the USA?

• Thread starter 334dave
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Usa
In summary, there has been discussion in a knife forum about the use of "made in USA" markings and the availability of brass made in the US. One member mentioned that a large percentage of new brass stock is now sourced from China. The original poster asked if there is still any new brass being produced in the US and how the recycling market for brass compares to other metals. They also requested information to refute the claim made by the previous member. It may be helpful to reach out to organizations such as the Copper Development Association for more information on the production and recycling of brass.
334dave
i am a knife collector and in this one knife forum there is some times much talk of made in USA markings...
some one who was not a reg poster said there was very little or no brass made in the usa any longer.. that 90% of new brass stock was from china..
my question then was
is there any new brass made in the usa still?
and what of the recycling..
i thought there was a lively market in that it would be used over a lot..
is this like other metals that it is cheaper to use new rather then recycled?
do any of you have info i can contest his statement with?

Engineering news on Phys.org
There are naturally many scrap recyclers that produce low quality brasses at small scales. I don't know about large scale production though.

1. What is the significance of "Made in USA" markings on brass products?

The "Made in USA" marking indicates that the brass product was manufactured in the United States. This can be important for consumers who prioritize supporting domestic manufacturing and ensuring the quality and safety of the product.

2. Is brass still being made in the USA?

Yes, brass is still being made in the USA. While the production of brass has decreased in the US over the years due to competition from overseas manufacturers, there are still several companies that produce brass products domestically.

3. Are there any regulations regarding "Made in USA" markings on brass products?

Yes, the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) has regulations for "Made in USA" markings. According to the FTC, a product can only be labeled as "Made in USA" if it is "all or virtually all" made in the United States. This means that all significant parts and processing that go into the product must be of US origin.

4. How can I verify if a brass product is truly made in the USA?

You can verify if a brass product is truly made in the USA by checking for the "Made in USA" marking on the product, as well as looking for the manufacturer's information and location on the packaging or product itself. You can also do research on the company to see if they have a history of producing their products domestically.

5. Are there any benefits to purchasing brass products that are made in the USA?

There are several potential benefits to purchasing brass products that are made in the USA. These include supporting domestic manufacturing and the economy, ensuring quality and safety standards are met, and reducing the carbon footprint associated with importing products from overseas.