1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Made-up problem

1. Mar 10, 2007 #1
    I made up a problem and wanted to make sure that I did everything right.

A thing rod with mass M is bent into the shape of a quarter circle with radius R. It is positioned so that it looks like the arc made as theta moves from terminal position (+ x axis) to 90 degrees counterclockwise. I am going to let this arc rotate freely about the x-axis. My problem is to determine the speed of the tip of the wire when it has rotated all the way to the bottom.

First I calculated the potential energy of the rod using the x-axis as a refrence frame. I did this by integrating over the rod noting that the height of each piece is Rsin@

U=(2/pi)MgR.

Then I calculated the moment of inertia using the same integration techniques.

I=(1/2)MR^2

(Is that really true!?!?!)

Finally I doubled the initial potential energy to get the kinetic when it has spun around and set that equal to (1/2)Iw^2

v=4[gR/pi]^(1/2)

If anyone would check this I would be very appreciative.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 11, 2007 #2
    Should I perhaps move this question to a different forum?

4. Apr 2, 2007 #3
    define "thing rod"

5. Apr 2, 2007 #4
    He means thin rod.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?