Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

MadGraph optimization

1. Feb 8, 2012 #1
    Dear forum,
    I am new here, so hi to all!
    I am using Madgraph to generate some events about exotic physics. The problem is that when I give this line
    gg>(rho>(pip>j j)(pip>j j))(rho>(pip>j j)(pip>j j))
    All these are declared in the particles.dat file.
    The problem is that it takes too much time when I am trying the
    ./bin/newprocess
    I left it working for 500 minutes and no results... It was saying:
    Running....

So, I tried to make it smaller and it finished too fast! Do you have any idea, why it takes too much time? Is there any way making it use both cores???

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 10, 2012 #2
    Dear magistros,

It seems from your syntax as if you are using MadGraph 4. Please switch to MadGraph 5, which can do this type of processes in quite reasonable time. Always try to use the most up-to-date software, it can make a world of difference (you find some speed benchmarks in the MadGraph 5 release paper http://arxiv.org/abs/arXiv:1106.0522).

4. Mar 10, 2012 #3
    Addendum: Please note that in order for us to directly receive your questions regarding MadGraph, please post your questions at https://answers.launchpad.net/madgraph5 instead of Physicsforums.

All the best,
    Johan

5. Mar 10, 2012 #4
    Dear Johan,
    thank you for your reply.. I can not use MadGraph5 because the model I want to run is programmed for MadGraph4...
    But I will ask for MadGraph5.

6. Mar 10, 2012 #5
    Dear Magistros,

Of course MadGraph 5 is fully backward compatible in terms of models.

All the best,
    Johan

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook