Mag. component of positive charges

In summary, the scientist is having trouble figuring out how to solve a problem. They are trying three different approaches and all of which sound difficult. They are looking for someone who can help them out or give them some advice.
buddingscientist
Hello scientists,

I'm unable to make any advances with this small problem.. two equal and positive charges (q) travel (in the same direction) at a speed (v), and are parallel to each other, at separation (r).
Derive an expression for the force between them, in the form of:
F = Felec(1 - [correction term]).
If anyone could shed some light on this or provide some insight it would be great thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
There are three approaches you might try:

(a) Calculate both the magnetic field due to one of the charges at the location of the other charge then calculate the Lorentz force (electrostatic plus v cross B).

(b) Calculate the static electric field in a frame of reference moving along with the charges and then use the Lorentz transformation to find the electrostatic and magnetic fields in the stationary frame of reference.

(c) Same as (b) except you calculate the force in the moving frame and the use the Lorentz transform to find the force in the stationary frame.

I suspect you're interested in (a).

Hmm thanks for the notes,
I get hints that I should use the Biot-savart law B = (mo/4p)(I.dL/r2) (m = mu, p = pi), and replace I.dL with data given in the question

Sounds like a great start!

I'm still having some trouble relating the two :(

Think of the current as charge divided by a time interval and L as the speed times the time interval. The time interval will cancel out and you should get your magnetic field.

Well..
B = (mo/4p)(qv/r^2)
I'm unfamiliar with how to connect it with 'F = Felec(1 - [correction term])'

Thanks a lot for the ideas and help by the way

If you learned about Biot-Savart then you should be able to determine the direction of the magnetic field. The magnetic force will be q v X b (vector cross product) which you will find is along a vector connecting the two charged particles (be careful with the signs). Finally, just add the electrostatic force.

take all forces in account, calculate them using integration (calculus).
I think answer is come with it.

1. What is the definition of magnetic component of positive charges?

The magnetic component of positive charges refers to the force exerted by a magnet on a positive charge as it moves through a magnetic field. This force is perpendicular to both the direction of motion of the charge and the direction of the magnetic field.

2. How is the magnetic component of positive charges different from the electric component?

The electric component of positive charges refers to the force exerted by an electric field on a positive charge. Unlike the magnetic component, the electric component is parallel to the direction of the electric field and the motion of the charge.

3. How does the magnetic component of positive charges affect the behavior of particles?

The magnetic component of positive charges can cause particles to change direction, accelerate, or decelerate as they move through a magnetic field. This is known as the Lorentz force and is responsible for many phenomena, such as the deflection of charged particles in a cathode ray tube.

4. Can the magnetic component of positive charges be manipulated?

Yes, the magnetic component of positive charges can be manipulated by changing the strength or direction of the magnetic field. This allows for control over the motion of charged particles and is utilized in technologies such as particle accelerators and MRI machines.

5. How is the strength of the magnetic component of positive charges measured?

The strength of the magnetic component of positive charges is measured in units of tesla (T) or gauss (G), depending on the system of measurement. It is also related to the charge and velocity of the particle, as well as the strength of the magnetic field it is moving through.