Mag force on circular wire

In summary, the conversation discusses the direction of a magnetic field and the resulting magnetic force on a ring around the source. The question is whether there will be a magnetic force when the field is acting along the radius, and the answer is that there will still be a field along the radius. The conversation ends with the question being answered and gratitude being expressed.

Homework Statement

<pic>

I just need help with the direction of the field, radially means along the radius,,, so answer would be Bi(2πa) -- viz wrong!

Help please!

Attachments

• Mag (4).jpg
    Mag (4).jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 327
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not so sure what this question is even asking. If there is a magnetic field from a source at the origin, and you place a ring around it, wouldn't the overall magnetic force due to that source be 0?

No it won't be

mag force will only be 0 when it is acting along radius.
It won't in the case i told you and neither if source is at origin!
in your case ... field perpendicular to the plane of loop will give 0 force but there still will be a field along radius!

Hey hang on ... it got it!
your question gave me the answer!
the field left along radius in your case will give force and that's the answer!

Thanks for the question ! :tongue2:

1. What is the formula for calculating the magnetic force on a circular wire?

The formula for calculating the magnetic force on a circular wire is F = I * L * B * sin(theta), where F is the force, I is the current flowing through the wire, L is the length of the wire, B is the magnetic field strength, and theta is the angle between the wire and the magnetic field.

2. How does the direction of the current affect the magnetic force on a circular wire?

The direction of the current affects the direction of the magnetic force on a circular wire. If the current is parallel to the magnetic field, there will be no force. If the current is perpendicular to the magnetic field, the force will be at its maximum. If the current is at an angle to the magnetic field, the force will be at an intermediate value.

3. Can the magnetic force on a circular wire be changed?

Yes, the magnetic force on a circular wire can be changed by altering any of the variables in the formula: current, length of the wire, magnetic field strength, or angle between the wire and the magnetic field.

4. What is the direction of the magnetic force on a circular wire?

The direction of the magnetic force on a circular wire can be determined using the right-hand rule. If the thumb of the right hand points in the direction of the current, and the fingers wrap around the wire in the direction of the magnetic field, then the palm of the hand will point in the direction of the force. Alternatively, the direction of the force can be determined using the cross product between the current and magnetic field vectors.

5. How is the magnetic force on a circular wire used in real life applications?

The magnetic force on a circular wire is used in many real-life applications, such as electric motors, generators, and particle accelerators. It is also used in devices like speakers, headphones, and hard drives. The force can be controlled and manipulated to produce motion, generate electricity, and accelerate particles.

Suggested for: Mag force on circular wire

Back