Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magentic motor

1. Oct 22, 2008 #1

is this magnetic generator self sustaining?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 22, 2008 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Not in this universe

4. Oct 22, 2008 #3
    how long before it stops?

5. Oct 22, 2008 #4
    That depends on when the power source is removed or turned off.

6. Oct 22, 2008 #5

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Depends when the 'experimenter' stops supplying the external source of power that is really running it.
    The easiest way to fake this one is a compressed air jet poitned at the edge of the pie dish or you have a second set of wires under the table to a battery - you could do it with an elctromagnet under the table but thats a lot more effort.

7. Oct 22, 2008 #6

so is this fake also lol sorry for adding another

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  8. Oct 22, 2008 #7

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sorry perpetual motion machines don't work, and discussing thme here is generally frowned upon - people that believe in them aren't going to be convinced.

Magnet ones are favourites because magnets appear to posses some sort of weird energy, ie the 'magnet energy' that the magnet uses to keep itself stuck to the fridge - presumably a book uses shelf-energy to keep itself on the shelf.

Assuming that you are just interested in the video (and not another foaming at the mouth crank) - the video is a fun fake. From the speed the motor is spining it I would gues it is being driven by a hidden battery, moving the other magnet near it is probably just enough extra force to overcome the static friction or unbalance in the plate and start the motor spinning.

I haven't watched the other videos but they are ussually just more complicated versions of the same thing.

9. Oct 22, 2008 #8
    yes i agree that one is faked but the other one is more basic if you look at the next video i wont talk about it here again. the guy in this video seems like a nut. ufo etc but the last 30 seconds of the video experiment seems interesting

10. Oct 22, 2008 #9

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The spinning top is 'powered' by small movements of the hand holding the large magnetic ring. If the top is small and light enough and the ring has strong enough magnets then it acts rather like a level - a small movement of the ring creates a large force on the spinning top.

11. Oct 22, 2008 #10
    ty i agree sorry was bored looking at videos and came upon this

12. Oct 22, 2008 #11

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Please re-read the PF Guidelines that you had agreed to. Perpetual motion machine discussion is one of our banned topics.

Zz.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?