Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Maggiore p.52

1. Jan 31, 2009 #1

PJK

I have a question about an equation in Maggiore's Modern Introd. to Quantum Field Theory p.52:
    [tex]\delta x^\mu = w^\mu_\nu x^\mu = \sum_{\rho < \sigma} A^\mu_{(\rho \sigma)} w^{\rho \sigma}[/tex]
    where the A is defined as
    [tex]A^\mu_{(\rho \sigma)}=\delta^{\mu}_{\rho}x_\sigma - \delta^\mu_\sigma x_\rho[/tex]

If I do this calculation I always end up with a factor 3 on the right hand side times the desired result. Is this an error in the book? Or am I doing something wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 31, 2009 #2
    The author is correct. Usually 'Aw' is written as '1/2 Aw' without specification that one indice is smaller than the other (A and w are antisymmetric so this is possible).

It's a bit baffling that the author defines the rotations like that though. I think the x's in the definition of A should be replaced by the metric 'g' that contracts with 'x' to get those expressions. That way iA would be a generator for the SO(4) vectorial representation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?