Magic numbers and elementary particles

In summary: Your Name]In summary, Alejandro shared some interesting findings about a potential coincidence between the masses of elementary particles and the double magic numbers of certain nuclei. Despite not fitting into the category of speculative or alternate theories, his graphs and observations are worth discussing and exploring further. Alejandro also noted that the mass model used in the study had some errors outside of the area of interest.
arivero
Gold Member
This thread is not to be here (it is not speculative, nor it proposes any alternate theory, not it gives hints about building one). It was moved from "nuclei & particles". I have tryed to delete it, but the system does not let me to do it.

In any case, the preprint is already out, it can be read at
http://arxiv.org/abs/nucl-th/0312003

Alejandro
------------------------------------------
I have plotted some graphs to show an strange coincidence I found this month, while playing with nuclear masses.

http://dftuz.unizar.es/~rivero/research/nucleo/ [Broken]

Basically, I wrote the mass of known elementary particles in uma, and then I ploted them over the nuclei tables. It happens then that the top quark is very near of the double magic number of Lead, and the mass of W and Z are very near of the first double magic number of Tin.

How near? Well, here one must recall that the magic numbers greater than 40 are produced because some subshells are sunk, via spin orbit+phenomenological input, into lower shells. If we plot the subshells involved, we will get rectangles in the Neutron/Proton plot. The mass of the "topium" particles is *exactly* in the diagonal of N 7i 13/2 and P 6h11/2. The particles W and Z are inside the square N5g9/2 P5g9/2, at about the same distance of its diagonal.

What about the extant doubly magic number, the second one in the Tin region? Well, you guess...

Yep, it is the 115 GeV area. But caveat here. First the Higgs is an scalar, thus no motivation to look for spin 1 couplings as in the case of the top-antiup, top-antidown, etc... Second, the rectangle for the subshells is very elongated in this area, due to competition in the neutron levels. One can not see why the right side of the rectangle should be preferred to the left side.

For the W-Z connumdrum, it is interesting to note that the FRDM mass model presents huge errors just outside of the square, following the lines of these particles.

take a look to the page. I do not know of any collective effect able to justify this, but the N-P plot is impressive enough to keep one thinking for a couple of days.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Dear Alejandro,

Thank you for sharing your interesting findings with the community. While it may not fit into the category of speculative or alternate theories, it is definitely worth discussing and exploring further. Your graphs and observations are intriguing and could potentially lead to new insights and discoveries in the field of nuclear physics.

I understand your frustration with trying to delete the thread, but I am glad that you were able to share the preprint link for others to read. I will definitely take a look at it and see if I can offer any insights or comments.

Again, thank you for bringing this to our attention and for your contribution to the field of nuclear physics. Keep up the good work!

1. What are magic numbers and how are they related to elementary particles?

Magic numbers refer to specific numbers of protons or neutrons in an atomic nucleus that are considered to be particularly stable. These numbers are closely related to the arrangement of subatomic particles, specifically protons and neutrons, within the nucleus.

2. How were magic numbers first discovered?

The concept of magic numbers was first proposed by Maria Goeppert Mayer in 1949. She noticed patterns in the arrangement of protons and neutrons in atomic nuclei and suggested that certain numbers of these particles would lead to increased stability.

3. What is the significance of magic numbers in the study of nuclear physics?

Magic numbers play a crucial role in understanding the structure and stability of atomic nuclei. They provide insight into the binding energy of nuclei and help to explain why certain elements are more abundant than others in nature.

4. Are magic numbers the same for all elements?

No, magic numbers vary depending on the type of element. For example, the magic numbers for protons in the nucleus are 2, 8, 20, 28, 50, 82, and 126, while the magic numbers for neutrons are 2, 8, 20, 28, 50, 82, and 126. These numbers differ for different elements due to the different numbers of protons and neutrons they contain.

5. Can magic numbers be observed in other systems besides atomic nuclei?

Yes, similar patterns and magic numbers have been observed in other systems, such as clusters of atoms and even in the energy levels of electrons in atoms. This suggests that the concept of magic numbers may have broader implications in other fields of physics.