Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magic Spheres

1. Dec 11, 2014 #1
    Look at this experiment: Why roll the balls after the collision back to each other? Are they magnetic?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 11, 2014 #2

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Spoiler! Highliight to read:

The balls are quite dense. They are running on rails, which means they are rotating much faster than their movement would indicate. There's a lot of angular momentum stored.
    That angular momentum is not lost when they collide and bounce off each other. In effect, as they move apart, they are "skidding" - they've lost traction, but are still rotating. Eventually the rotation gains traction on the rails and the spheres accelerate toward each other again.

Reviewing the video again, I can see confirmation that I am right. The balls are not perfect; there is an arrow marked on each of them which shows how they are rotating. You can see the arrows in the closeup (as a matter of fact, you can juuuust catch them at the start of the closeup - at 0:19 juuuuust as they disappear into the black reflection at the bottom.) They are rotating the same direction both before and after the collision.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2014
  4. Dec 11, 2014 #3

Danger

Gold Member

Gee, that's complicated. I would have just filed a low spot in the rail. :biggrin:

5. Dec 11, 2014 #4

DaveC426913

Gold Member

:D The first post I made, which I deleted as superfluous, suggested the rails might simply be bowed in the center. But after more examination, I decided the demo was legit, not just a trick.

6. Dec 11, 2014 #5

Danger

Gold Member

You're probably right. My eyes aren't that good any more; I can't really see the spin.

7. Dec 12, 2014 #6
    Hard to say without more data. Is it certain that balls/spheres are made homogeneous ?

8. Dec 12, 2014 #7

A.T.

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Look at the sky reflection, right when they collide.

9. Dec 12, 2014 #8

A.T.

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The density distribution seems symmetrical, given how uniformly they roll.

10. Dec 12, 2014 #9

Danger

Gold Member

Okay, I've got it now. When I first looked at it, that arrow thingie just didn't quite register in my brain. It took half a dozen more viewings before it did. (I saw it; I just couldn't figure out what it was doing.) Maybe temporal dyslexia affects visual things as well as spoken ones. :redface:

11. Dec 12, 2014 #10

RonL

Gold Member

I'm not sure why I only saw the arrows appear one time ?

12. Dec 12, 2014 #11

Danger

Gold Member

Maybe there's sidespin as well, so they weren't in a visible spot earlier. Originally, once I realized that they were arrows, I suspected that they might have been digitally added to indicate spin, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

13. Dec 12, 2014 #12

A.T.

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Because they cross the upper bright part only one time. But you see them also at 0:17 on the left ball, in the lower right part.

14. Dec 12, 2014 #13

RonL

Gold Member

Thanks, yes:)

15. Dec 12, 2014 #14

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Did no one read my spoiler? It describes the arrows.

16. Dec 12, 2014 #15
    I just read the OP's "are they magnetic?", watched once, then read your spoiler, then watched again and it all made sense.

Once I realised the balls were rolling on rails the dramatic pushes and attractive reactions all fell into perspective.

17. Dec 12, 2014 #16

Danger

Gold Member

I read it, and once I actually realized that they were physically present as opposed to CGI it made sense.

18. Dec 12, 2014 #17

RonL

Gold Member

I can't understand what highlight to read, is supposed to do ?
    Your next post said you deleted the first one.
    Now you ask if no one read it ? I'm confused other than to say post #4 you say it's not a trick o_O:)

19. Dec 12, 2014 #18
    I didn't get it at first either, just click and drag the mouse like you are selecting text to copy or quote.

20. Dec 12, 2014 #19

RonL

Gold Member

Thanks, I finally figured it out :) I'm pretty simple minded when it comes to finding text that's not visible. :D
    I did slide the mouse on the text that was visible and all that came up was +quote or reply :oops:

21. Dec 13, 2014 #20
    I believe this man is right. ( and I didn't say that because he looks like moses.)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook