Cracking the Code: The Secret Behind the Magic Trick at 13:30

• Thread starter mrspeedybob
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Magic
In summary, the trick seems to be a clever production trick that is relatively easy to do. The audience participants were not plants, and the trick relied on some clever production techniques.
mrspeedybob
The trick in question starts at 13:30 and goes through 19:00

Begin with the premises that this is trick wasn't produced strictly for television and could be performed live, and that the audience participants were not plants.

Any theories about how it could have done?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I have no idea.

It's plausible and probable that the guy's names were put on the cards by an assistant between the time they introduced themselves and when the magician is seen holding the envelopes, but I can't think of an explanation for any other element of the trick.

Dude have you seen this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpthjI1z2FM ?

It's my most favorite from Penn and Teller.

WannabeNewton said:
Dude have you seen this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpthjI1z2FM ?

It's my most favorite from Penn and Teller.

That one is simply awesome.

mrspeedybob said:
The trick in question starts at 13:30 and goes through 19:00

Begin with the premises that this is trick wasn't produced strictly for television and could be performed live, and that the audience participants were not plants.

Any theories about how it could have done?

How do we know for certain the audience participants were not plants?

Last edited by a moderator:
micromass said:
How do we know for certain the audience participants were not plants?
Bingo.

Evo said:
Bingo.

Well, apparently it wasn't. Penn and Teller confirmed on twitter that it wasn't a planted crew after they were told how the trick was done.

Well, that's a bummer...

Now, we never actually saw what was inside the envelopes. Only the three guys saw it. So, if they're not lame, then they could easily have filled in their own name and table...

And I guess it's pretty easy to let the men know which food they're serving, by printing a message at the end of the dish, somehow.

Last edited:
zoobyshoe said:
I have no idea.

It's plausible and probable that the guy's names were put on the cards by an assistant between the time they introduced themselves and when the magician is seen holding the envelopes, but I can't think of an explanation for any other element of the trick.
I just thought of one more thing: supposing the dishes were placed on the original side table in a certain order, the assistant writing the cards would know which dish got put on which table before the volunteers were chosen. Suppose pizza is always the first dish the magician picks up. The woman chooses table 3. This would allow the assistant to write, " ...was served pizza at table 3" on the card. The magician also knows the order, of course, and he knows which dish the woman has selected to be at which table.

When the volunteers are chosen the assistant can arbitrarily connect them to a dish and a table. He signals to the magician which has been put where by color code: Let's say the first volunteer's name is always put in the yellow envelope, and the yellow envelope is always assigned to pizza. What remains is for the magician to lead the woman somehow to choose to give the yellow envelope to Wayne, and later to choose to put Wayne at table 3, where he knows the pizza is.

I'm not sure how that leading is done. I've seen many videos of Derren Brown doing it, or claiming to be doing it, without figuring out exactly how he's doing it.

micromass said:
That one is simply awesome.

That one is really original and entertaining, but it's also pretty obvious. Many of the cards were marked with vertical or horizontal marks on the edges. By stacking the deck he can make it say anything he wants when it gets fanned out at the end.

1. How did the magician make the object disappear?

The magician likely used a technique called sleight of hand, where they use quick and precise hand movements to hide the object from view. They may also use props or distractions to further conceal the object's disappearance.

2. How do magicians seemingly read people's minds?

Mind reading tricks often involve a combination of psychology, misdirection, and showmanship. Magicians may use subtle cues from the audience's body language and reactions to make educated guesses about their thoughts.

3. How do magicians escape from seemingly impossible situations?

Escape tricks rely on various techniques such as hidden props, flexibility, and quick reflexes. Magicians may also use misdirection to make it appear as though they have escaped when they were never truly trapped in the first place.

4. How do magicians make objects reappear in unexpected places?

This type of trick typically involves a combination of sleight of hand, hidden compartments or props, and clever misdirection. The magician may also use audience participation and distraction to enhance the surprise factor.

5. How do magicians make objects levitate?

There are many ways to achieve the illusion of levitation, such as using hidden wires or magnets, or using a specific type of clothing that allows for the object to be suspended. Magicians may also use mirrors or other optical illusions to enhance the effect.