What are the Best Magic Tricks Using a Regular Deck of Cards?

• Thread starter Euphoriet
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Magic
In summary, this trick involves arranging cards in a certain way so that two cards of a pair are located in the same row.
Euphoriet
Best magic tricks?

I'm wondering what the bests "magic ticks" you guys know without using any "cheating devices"... just a regular deck of cards.. or any other at hand devices.. heh... and how it's done.. ?

I dunno... just curious.. seems a lot of them involve math..that's cool .. I would like to learn more about this stuff.. if there is some unusual.. "trick" you know.. that not many people know about.. that would be good too thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Pick a number 1 through 4. You picked 3. Though I don't imagine that's the type of trick for which you're looking.

Hurkyl said:
Pick a number 1 through 4. 3 Though I don't imagine that's the type of trick for which you're looking.
Darn! I was going to say 1.293473 :grumpy: I was never any good at magic tricks. :frown:

This one ("guess 1 of 5") is really neat : http://rec-puzzles.org/new/list.pl/magic/card [Broken]

And then there's the ATLAS, BIBLE, THIGH, GOOSE trick (along with its variants).

Last edited by a moderator:
Gokul43201 said:
This one ("guess 1 of 5") is really neat : http://rec-puzzles.org/new/list.pl/magic/card [Broken]

And then there's the ATLAS, BIBLE, THIGH, GOOSE trick (along with its variants).

I've done the second one a number of times.

Here's a simple card trick:

You deal out three rows of seven cards each. You ask some one to pick out one in his mind and point just to the row its in. You pick up the cards and re-deal them in three rows of seven again. Again you ask for him to point to the row its in. You repeat this a few times and then tell him his card

Solution:When you deal out the rows, deal them one card to a row at a time (as if you were dealing hands in a poker game with each row being a "hand"). It also helps if you deal the rows such that each card overlaps the card before it as it makes the next part a more natural move.

Each time you pick up the cards, pick them up one row at a time and always take the row he points to second.

Stop the trick when his card ends up in the middle row two successive times. His card will be the fourth card of the middle row.

Euphoriet said:
Best magic tricks?

I'm wondering what the bests "magic ticks" you guys know without using any "cheating devices"... just a regular deck of cards.. or any other at hand devices.. heh... and how it's done.. ?

I dunno... just curious.. seems a lot of them involve math..that's cool .. I would like to learn more about this stuff.. if there is some unusual.. "trick" you know.. that not many people know about.. that would be good too thanks.

Most of the tricks I know involve sleight of hand or misdirection.

"And then there's the ATLAS, BIBLE, THIGH, GOOSE trick (along with its variants)."

Never heard of it...

Janus said:
Here's a simple card trick:

You deal out three rows of seven cards each. You ask some one to pick out one in his mind and point just to the row its in. You pick up the cards and re-deal them in three rows of seven again. Again you ask for him to point to the row its in. You repeat this a few times and then tell him his card
I've done this one, but was too lazy then, to write it all out.

As for atlas bible ... take 20 cards and lay them open in pairs. Ask someone to think of a pair. Then you pick up all the cards, never breaking a pair, and lay them out in a 4 X 5 matrix in a particular order. The order is determined as follows.

Imagine the positions of the matrix labeled by the letters

A T L A S
B I B L E
T H I G H
G O O S E

Place the first card (open) on the first A of Atlas. The next card must go to the other location where an A is found - namely the other A in Atlas. The next card is placed on the T of atlas and its pair on the T of Thigh. Basically you arrange the cards so that two of a pair occupy positions that represent the same letter.

Then you ask the person to tell you which row or rows his/her pair is found in. All you have to do is find the common letters to that pair of rows.

Example : If the cards are rows 4 and 5, they must be the ones that occupy the positions of G in these rows.

Note : The reason this works is that the nmenomic above contains exactly 10 pairs of letters with no two pairs occupying the same rows.

For more such nmenonics see : http://wordways.com/goose.htm [Broken]

First shuffle the deck and get a glimpse of the card on the bottom of the deck.

Next:
Place the deck of cards length wise face down in your left hand if are right handed and vise versa. Holding the cards at so they are well below eye level of everyone watching, and holding them at about a 15 degree angle, in standard position meaning the end opposite you is at the origin, ask someone to tell you when to stop. Facing that person start pulling cards back with the finger tips of your right hand. When they say, stop, you slip your thumb under the deck of cards and pull away the top cards while sliding the bottom card in with the cards you are pulling from the top.

Now, without looking at the cards yourself you already know the bottom cards is on the bottom of the cards you just pulled out. You show the audience the cards making sure you face the card away from you so that you cannot see it... actually you could even be blindfolded for this part- and then replace the cards into the deck. Have someone shuffle the cards until they are content.

Now take the deck and starting at the top flip the cards over to reveal them, one by one. After you have already passed the card that you know is the card you showed the audience ask the question, "who wants to bet the next card I flip over is going to be the card I showed you?"

Naturally everyone knows the card you showed everyone is flipped over a few cards down in the pile so they expect whatever card you pull from the deck will not be their card and as such they are willing to place some cash bets. After you have made the bets, reach into the pile and flip over the card that you showed everyone.

Use at your own risk...

Last edited:
Wee, that's my favorite force. It does take some practice to make it look like you're actually pulling the card out of the middle of the deck... and don't accidentally slide the second card from the bottom while you're taking the bottom one.

Another one I like (that doesn't require a force) is to have the bottom card upside down (but don't let them see that!) and have them pick a card out of the deck.

While they're showing the card to all their friends, you flip the deck over, so it's upside down. (But it looks right-side up, because the bottom card is backwards!) A good pretense for doing this is to turn around so you can't watch them show the card around.

Now, you have them slide their card back into the deck. Then, you flip the deck back over (I can't remember a good pretense for this), and maybe shuffle it a bit. (It helps to fix the bottom card)

Then, you can sift through the deck, and find their card, because it's the only one face-up!

Hurkyl said:
Wee, that's my favorite force. It does take some practice to make it look like you're actually pulling the card out of the middle of the deck... and don't accidentally slide the second card from the bottom while you're taking the bottom one.

Another one I like (that doesn't require a force) is to have the bottom card upside down (but don't let them see that!) and have them pick a card out of the deck.

While they're showing the card to all their friends, you flip the deck over, so it's upside down. (But it looks right-side up, because the bottom card is backwards!) A good pretense for doing this is to turn around so you can't watch them show the card around.

Now, you have them slide their card back into the deck. Then, you flip the deck back over (I can't remember a good pretense for this), and maybe shuffle it a bit. (It helps to fix the bottom card)

Then, you can sift through the deck, and find their card, because it's the only one face-up!

Thats pretty smooth...I'll have to try it out on the next opportunity I get. Thanks

Here's one: Use what ever method you like to locate the chosen card. (there are lots of them so choose the one one like best.) tell the audience that this is a very hard trick and that you'll need three quesses to find their card. go through the deck looking for their card.
Pick a random card put it on the bottom of the deck so that it sticks up beyond the deck. show them the bottom of the deck and ask them if this is their card. They will say no. Put the deck down to the table face down with this card still sticking out and ask them to put their finger on the card. Pull the deck away leaving the card on the table.

Search for an another card. This time however, find their card. but this time put both it and another card on top of it on the bottom of the deck sticking up beyond the deck again (such that the other card covers their card when you show the bottom of the deck.) ask them if this is their card. Thye will say no because their card is hidden behind the card they see. Turn the deck back face down to the table as before, but this slide the bottom card with your fingers back even with the deck (this move is called a glide). this leaves only their card sticking out. Ask them to put their finger on the card and slide the deck away. this leaves their card on the table. (they. however will think it is the card they saw.)

Repeat the steps you did for the first card, leaving a third card on the table.

Act flustered at not being able to find their card, and ask what it was. When they tell you, say "Oh, that card! I always have trouble with that card." Tell that so it won't be total loss, you want to try something else. Ask them to point to one of the three cards on the table.
If they point to their card ask them to turn it over.

If they point to another card, remove the card from the table and ask them to pick one of the remaining two. if they pick their card from these two, remove the other card, and ask them to turn over the remaining card.

If they pick the other card of the two, remove it from the table and ask them to turn over the remaining card.

They'll always end up turning over their chosen card, and will think they were given a free choice of the three cards on the table.

1. What are magic tricks?

Magic tricks are illusions performed by magicians to deceive and entertain their audience. They involve using sleight of hand, misdirection, and other techniques to create the appearance of something impossible happening.

2. How do magicians learn magic tricks?

Magicians often learn magic tricks by studying and practicing from books, videos, or by attending workshops and lectures. They may also learn from other experienced magicians.

3. Are there different types of magic tricks?

Yes, there are various types of magic tricks. Some of the most common types include card tricks, coin tricks, levitation tricks, and mentalism tricks. Each type requires different skills and techniques to perform.

4. Can anyone learn magic tricks?

Yes, anyone can learn magic tricks with dedication and practice. Some people may have a natural talent for it, but most magicians have honed their skills through hard work and dedication.

5. How do magicians keep their magic tricks a secret?

Magicians often use a code of ethics to keep their magic tricks a secret. They also use techniques such as misdirection and sleight of hand to divert the audience's attention away from the secret behind the trick.