Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magicjack VoIP PC Phone

1. Oct 22, 2008 #1
    I haven't seen this infomercial before, but then I am not usually watching TV at 3:00AM

It sounds too easy?
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 22, 2008 #2
    Re: Magicjack

There are TONS of youtube hate videos on this. Beware!
  4. Oct 22, 2008 #3

Ah Ha I knew it sounded too easy. :smile:
  5. Oct 22, 2008 #4

Apparently the issues is that it installs spyware on your computer, has bad tech support and anything outside a local number is very staticy
  6. Dec 30, 2008 #5

Skype offers calls to landlines for $2.95/month = $35.4/yr, and I'm sure other VOIP to landline services have similar rates.
  7. Oct 18, 2011 #6

i have had mine for bout 3 years, paid the first two years a year at a time (first year was actually included in the 40 dollar price for unit) and since have sent 70 bucks for the next five years.

it has to be plugged into a computer that is connected to the internet and booted up. on occasion some calls are ghetto staticie, but from what i can tell its always the same people, with a particular cell phone. 99 percent of the time calls are clear both ways. one time they did a software upgrade that dumped all my contact info, but i had backed such up so was able to recover.

60 bucks for two years (40 to start, 20 the second year) and 70 for the next five years.

u can plug an old school phone into it, or a cordless phone, or a splitter and both, or two splitters and 3 phones. or, you can just plug it into say a laptop, then switch to headset mode, plug nothing else in, and use your laptop as a speakerphone, the laptops mic picking up yer voice, and the speakers producing the sound from the other end. thats cool. i take my laptop when i travel, then i can pull into somewhere with free wifi like mcdonalds, and start making calls. ok mcdonalds wifi is a little ghetto slow, bad example, but anywhere where i get a descent connection.

when calls are missed cause i did not pick them up, or the thing was turned off, magicjack takes a message, encodes it into a wav file, and sends it to my email. thats cool.

for the money, 99 percent of the time is fine by me. maybe i am the lucky one, but do not think so. if u have broadband, its only 40 bucks for a year to find out for yourself. or pay others more, its up to u.

wired one
  8. Nov 1, 2011 #7

Gold Member

I have a co-worker who uses this. But he's... unique... I literally wouldn't know how to interpret his experiences with it.
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  9. Dec 12, 2011 #8

magicJack VocalTec Ltd.
    Follow-on Public Offering
    Expected Pricing Week of: 12/12/2011

10. Jan 3, 2012 #9
    The cost of leaving a computer running for a year can be quite a bit over 100$ depedning on the model, I believe.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?