• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Magitude of accelaration

• Thread starter rasikan
  • Start date
1. Homework Statement
A particle moves along a circular path having a radius of 2.0 m. At an instant when the speed of the particle is equal to 3.0 m/s and changing at the rate of 5.0 m/s2, what is the magnitude of the total acceleration of the particle?

2. Homework Equations
magitude= V^2/R

3. The Attempt at a Solution

But i dont know how to slove with this equation

Answers and Replies

Dick
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Acceleration is a vector. There will be a component tangent to the circle and a normal component. Which one is given to you in the problem statement and which do you have to find using your equation?

Dick,
v=3m/s
a=5 m/s^2

I guess I can find the magnitude when v=3 m/s . is that
right?

Acceleration is a vector. There will be a component tangent to the circle and a normal component. Which one is given to you in the problem statement and which do you have to find using your equation?

Dick
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Ok, so what are the two components of the acceleration.

the two components are ax and ay

Dick
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
The components are normal to the circle and tangent to the circle, so x,y coordinates are probably not appropriate. I would say the tangent component is 5 m/s^2. Why would I say that?

coz that is a constant acceleration?

Dick
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
No, because they told me. If an object is moving on a circle and it's speed is changing at 5 m/s^2, in what direction is that acceleration pointed?

this is my calculation

a=Sq root of (at)^2+(ar)^2

at= 5m/s^2
ar=v^2/r= 9/2=4.5
a=sq root(5^2+4.5^2)
=6.7 m/s^2

is this is right??

towards its center
No, because they told me. If an object is moving on a circle and it's speed is changing at 5 m/s^2, in what direction is that acceleration pointed?

Dick
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
towards its center
Your calculation is fine. What does "towards its center" mean? You labelled it as at in your calculation?

u mean my answer is right??

Dick
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Yeah. Does that surprise you? If you're clear on the two components of the acceleration then I think you can go on to the next problem...

yaa i got it now dick thanks for you help