Alternative Propulsion Methods for Maglev Models Using DC Motors

In summary: So the idea is that the train would ride on the magnets on the bottom while the magnets on the top would propel it forward. So if I rotate the magnets on the bottom, does that mean the train will move forward?
mefi
Hey there!

I need to build a working model of a maglev-train, which will hover over permanent magnets on a track, and which will have to have a propulsion system.

My question is whether there is a way of getting an accelration not using a propellar? As part of the project, I've been given an electric DC motor, which obviously is intended to drive the train forward in some way.

Magnetics is not my strongest subject, but what I've been thinking is that rotating a magnet in the cart might drive it forward? If all the magnets in the track are pointing the same way, how would I be able drive the cart forward this way?

Might someone have another idea on how to do this?

Thanks in advance!
//Viktor

Engineering news on Phys.org
I think that some maglevs use linear motors:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linear_motor

For a possibly simpler method. What about having a C-channel embedded into the ground, between your levitating tracks. You then use a belt from the DC motor to drive a pinion of some sort which rides in the C-channel. You can suspend the whole thing on a spring so that effects of "magnetic bounce" can be negated.

minger said:
I think that some maglevs use linear motors:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linear_motor

For a possibly simpler method. What about having a C-channel embedded into the ground, between your levitating tracks. You then use a belt from the DC motor to drive a pinion of some sort which rides in the C-channel. You can suspend the whole thing on a spring so that effects of "magnetic bounce" can be negated.

Thanks for the input! The problem though is that the material give is the material I can use, or well, I can not however buy new stuff that will drive my model forward, I can only use the DC motor..
I am neither allowed to build something that will touch the track on the vertical plane.
And upon describing the track, I was not clear enough I think.. It has magnets running along both sides of the track, but also magnets running along the middle, with one magnet's length spacing between them. Like a ladder.

1. What is a Maglev model and how does it work?

A Maglev model is a type of transportation system that uses magnetic levitation to move vehicles without the need for physical contact with a track. It works by using powerful magnets to create a repelling force between the track and the vehicle, allowing it to float and be propelled forward.

2. What are the advantages of using Maglev technology?

Maglev technology offers several advantages, including faster speeds, smoother rides, and lower maintenance costs. It also has no physical contact with the track, reducing wear and tear and eliminating the need for lubrication. Additionally, Maglev vehicles produce no direct emissions, making them a more environmentally-friendly option.

3. How is propulsion achieved in Maglev models?

Propulsion in Maglev models is achieved through the use of linear induction motors. These motors use electromagnetic fields to push and pull the vehicle along the track, providing the necessary propulsion to move the vehicle forward.

4. What are the challenges of implementing Maglev technology?

One of the main challenges of implementing Maglev technology is the high initial cost. Building the necessary infrastructure, including the track and propulsion systems, can be very expensive. Additionally, the technology is still relatively new and there may be concerns about safety and reliability.

5. What are some potential uses for Maglev models?

Maglev models have the potential to revolutionize transportation in various ways. They could be used for high-speed trains, reducing travel time between cities. They could also be used for urban transportation, providing a faster and more efficient way to commute within a city. Additionally, Maglev models could be used for freight transportation, allowing for faster and more reliable delivery of goods.