Exploring the Non-Reactivity of Magnesium Nitrate with Sulphuric Acid

In summary, magnesium nitrate does not react with sulphuric acid because sulphuric acid is a strong acid, while magnesium nitrate is a weak base. This is due to the difference in the strength of their chemical properties. Additionally, it is important to show effort and understanding of the topic before asking for help.
topsyturvy
why magnesium nitrate does not react with sulphuric acid?:confused:
can somebody help answering? thank you.:smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
salt: a compound formed by replacing hydrogen in an acid by a metal (or a radical that acts like a metal)

2HNO3 + MgO → Mg(NO3)2 + H2O

er.. i still don't understand why magnesium nitrate does not react with sulphuric acid?
i understand what is salt already. thankyou.

topsyturvy said:
why magnesium nitrate does not react with sulphuric acid?:confused:
can somebody help answering?
No, we can't, unless you show some original effort first. Please read the posting guidelines for this sub-forum.

well, H2SO4 is a strong acid, while NO- is a weak base?

topsyturvy said:
well, H2SO4 is a strong acid, while NO- is a weak base?
Have you written out the equation? The unit from which this question is drawn (thermodynamics, acids/bases, etc.) might lend you a hint.

erm...i seem to have completely miss-read your question...sorry

3trQN said:
erm...i seem to have completely miss-read your question...sorry
The question was for the OP.

So was my post :)

1. What is magnesium nitrate?

Magnesium nitrate is a chemical compound with the formula Mg(NO3)2. It is a salt, which means it is formed when an acid and a base react with each other.

2. How is magnesium nitrate used?

Magnesium nitrate is commonly used in fertilizers, explosives, and fireworks due to its high solubility in water and its ability to provide plants with essential nutrients. It is also used in the production of other magnesium compounds, as a dehydrating agent, and as a catalyst in certain reactions.

3. Is magnesium nitrate safe?

While magnesium nitrate is generally considered safe, it can be harmful if ingested or inhaled in large amounts. It may also cause irritation to the skin and eyes. It is important to handle and store magnesium nitrate properly and follow safety precautions when using it.

4. How does magnesium nitrate affect the environment?

Magnesium nitrate can have negative effects on the environment if it is not properly managed. When it is used as a fertilizer, excess amounts can run off into water sources and contribute to eutrophication, which can harm aquatic life. It can also contribute to air pollution if it is released into the atmosphere during production or use.

5. Can magnesium nitrate be used in food?

Magnesium nitrate should not be used in food as it is toxic if ingested in large amounts. It is also not approved for use in food by the FDA. While it may be found in some foods naturally, it is typically not added as an ingredient.