Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnesium sharpeners

1. Nov 29, 2014 #1
    As you may know , some pencil sharpeners are made from magnesium(the case).Now what I want to know is are they all made from magnesium?
    upload_2014-11-29_12-55-45.jpeg Near my house there are only these ones for sale.I got one and tested it with some vinegar.What hapened is that layer of it started peeling off.After the white grayish layer peeled of it revealed a dark greyish one.Does that mean its only magnesium plated?Or is it all magnesium?

Last edited: Nov 29, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 29, 2014 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

I doubt pure magnesium is ever used. If anything, some magnesium alloy.

4. Nov 29, 2014 #3
    I know some use realtively pure magnesium, but I dont know if this one does. the sharpener in this one is pure as you may see.

5. Nov 29, 2014 #4
    I tried lightign the powder that i sanded off the sharpener and it didnt light, so I think its some other metal , can someone tell me wich one?

6. Nov 29, 2014 #5

Borek

Staff: Mentor

There is not enough information - and I am afraid without much more elaborate tests (requiring reagents that you most likely don't have, or at least a strong acid and a reasonably accurate balance) you won't be able to determine the metal identity.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook