Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnet and coil

1. Nov 14, 2011 #1
    I have a situation that a magnet is placed near to a coil. Especially in pumps and the pump is working based on the stroke mechanisam. The coil is powerd up by a DC source of 12volts and the piston(which having magnet on it) is attracted by this coil called as stroke. The distance between the coil and piston is 1Cm. Is that basic stroke is really coming from or due to coil? I am not uinderstood theoritically.

If the coil is really attracts the piston, why then always stoke exist i.e. push and pulling back again. It has to attract by coil always. what is the cause for pushing back?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 14, 2011 #2
    Usually that piston is connected to a spring, which returns it back. DC-on pulls, DC-off spring pulls back etc.

4. Nov 14, 2011 #3
    Yes, you are almost right. I forgot about that and lead me to ask that silly question. But a static power is supplied to the coil which has to attract constantly and stict together always.

As you said about spring that puls back the magnet in my case it is a rubber strip that pulls back the magnet. I wonder now, i ahve a constant supply and then how it is pull back the magnet.

5. Nov 14, 2011 #4
    I don't think its a constant supply to the coil. Double check that. There must be a circuit somewhere, that sends periodic signals to coil. So it goes on-off-on-off.

6. Nov 14, 2011 #5
    OHH!
    yes, they too have a power elecronics circuit in it. By the way,how you people understand it without real situation. I am not able to understand this.

Any furthure points will help me.

7. Nov 14, 2011 #6
    What kind of help do you need?

With that circuit? That circuit can be realised in so many ways. My statement above was a pure guess, but in principle it SHOULD work like that.

Maybe if you give us the model, and the circuit schematics maybe we can assist you further?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook