Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnet and gree energy

1. Jul 13, 2004 #1
    magnet and free energy

when i stick a magnet on a fridge it willl eventually slide down and fall of due the domains in the mganet nuetralizing each other out right ?

Now my question is does the energy reuiqred to realign the the magnet to its original strength = the amount of enrgy that is requireed to keep that magnet against the fridge working against gravity for the length of time unitll it falls off

seems like more energy to keep magnet on fridge thatn to realign it

Last edited: Jul 13, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 13, 2004 #2

Gza

Conservation of energy would deem your assumption false.

4. Jul 13, 2004 #3

krab

Science Advisor

That amount is zero. A constant force does not imply an expenditure of energy.

5. Jul 13, 2004 #4
    im confused if I physically hold the magnet that fell off ; agaisnt the fridge myself instead of magnetizing it am I not expending energy

Last edited: Jul 13, 2004
  6. Jul 13, 2004 #5

Gza

Energy changes in a physical system are caused by work. Work is defined as a force over a distance. If you hold a magnet in place without moving it, there is no possible way work can be done, therefore no expenditure, or for that matter, absorption of energy.

7. Jul 13, 2004 #6

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Your body expends energy doing anything. But you are not imparting any energy onto the magnet by holding it against the fridge.

8. Jul 13, 2004 #7
    ok understand now

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?