Unlocking the Truth: The Relationship Between Magnets and Free Energy

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of magnetism and its relationship with energy. It is explained that when a magnet is stuck to a fridge, the domains in the magnet neutralize each other, causing it to eventually slide down and fall off. The question is raised whether the energy required to realign the magnet to its original strength is the same as the energy needed to keep it against the fridge, working against gravity. It is clarified that holding the magnet in place without moving it does not require any energy as work is defined as force over distance. However, any physical movement by the person holding the magnet will result in energy expenditure.
bozo the clown
magnet and free energy

when i stick a magnet on a fridge it willl eventually slide down and fall of due the domains in the mganet nuetralizing each other out right ?

Now my question is does the energy reuiqred to realign the the magnet to its original strength = the amount of enrgy that is requireed to keep that magnet against the fridge working against gravity for the length of time unitll it falls off

seems like more energy to keep magnet on fridge thatn to realign it

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Conservation of energy would deem your assumption false.

bozo the clown said:
the amount of enrgy that is requireed to keep that magnet against the fridge working against gravity for the length of time unitll it falls off
That amount is zero. A constant force does not imply an expenditure of energy.

krab said:
That amount is zero. A constant force does not imply an expenditure of energy.

im confused if I physically hold the magnet that fell off ; agaisnt the fridge myself instead of magnetizing it am I not expending energy

Last edited:
Energy changes in a physical system are caused by work. Work is defined as a force over a distance. If you hold a magnet in place without moving it, there is no possible way work can be done, therefore no expenditure, or for that matter, absorption of energy.

bozo the clown said:
im confused if I physically hold the magnet that fell off ; agaisnt the fridge myself instead of magnetizing it am I not expending energy
Your body expends energy doing anything. But you are not imparting any energy onto the magnet by holding it against the fridge.

ok understand now

1. What is the relationship between magnets and free energy?

The relationship between magnets and free energy is a topic of ongoing research and debate in the scientific community. Some theories suggest that magnets can be used to generate free energy, while others argue that this is not possible. At this time, there is no definitive answer and further research is needed to fully understand the potential relationship between magnets and free energy.

2. Can magnets be used to create perpetual motion and generate free energy?

Perpetual motion is a concept that has been explored for centuries, but it is not currently possible to create a perpetual motion machine using only magnets. While magnets can generate energy, they cannot continue to do so indefinitely without an external energy source. Therefore, perpetual motion and free energy from magnets is not possible with our current understanding of physics.

3. How do magnets generate energy?

Magnets generate energy through the movement of electrons in a conductive material. When a magnetic field is applied to a conductive material, it induces a current in the material, which can then be harnessed as energy. This process is known as electromagnetic induction and is the basis for many modern technologies, such as generators and motors.

4. Is it possible to create a self-sustaining system using magnets and free energy?

At this time, there is no evidence to suggest that a self-sustaining system using only magnets and free energy is possible. While magnets can generate energy, they still require an external energy source to maintain their magnetic properties and continue producing energy. Additionally, the laws of thermodynamics suggest that it is not possible to create a system that produces more energy than it consumes.

5. Why is the concept of free energy from magnets controversial?

The concept of free energy from magnets is controversial because it challenges our current understanding of physics and the laws of thermodynamics. Many scientists argue that the idea of free energy from magnets violates the law of conservation of energy, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted. Additionally, there is a lack of scientific evidence to support the claims of free energy from magnets, making it a controversial and much-debated topic.