Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Magnet Experiment

1. Jul 29, 2016 #1
    Hello PF!
    I am about to conduct a physics experiment to write my high school level paper on. I initially was going to investigate the Gaussian Gun, but my physics teacher has said that I need to have real life, practical applications of the model, and to also have a variable I can change and talk about.

So, I've decided to change for now, looking more at magnets themselves. We have neodymium magnets and I was winding if calculating the force needed to separate the magnets decrease over distance and maybe plot a relationship.

Do you have any advice?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 29, 2016 #2

BiGyElLoWhAt

Gold Member

So explore magnetic force vs. distance? That seems like a reasonable experiment, could be pretty neat.
    A few things to consider:
    1) How will you measure the force?
    2) How will you measure the distance?
    3) How accurately will you measure these quantities? (To the nearest mm, cm, etc.)

4. Aug 1, 2016 #3
    I've collected data of magnetic field strength vs distance. Could you suggest any ways this information is useful in the real world?

5. Aug 1, 2016 #4

BiGyElLoWhAt

Gold Member

How do MRI's work?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted