1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnet Force Help

1. Dec 19, 2006 #1
    Can anyone help me determine how much force is created when a one tesla permanent magnet is allowed to make contact with a flat piece of iron. The distance that this size magnet can be released and will be drawn to the iron is about 3 centimeters. Is there any way to express this force in joules or watts?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 19, 2006 #2

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There's not enough info to do a calculation, but a typical 1T magnet that's about the size of a quarter, will stick to a flat piece of iron with a force of about 20lbs (about 100N). You can't express a force in units of joules or watts (those are units for energy and power). You can, however, calculate the potential energy of the magnet-iron system, and that will be a number in units of joules.

4. Dec 19, 2006 #3
    What other info is needed? Here's what is listed on this magnet:

http://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=DY0X0

Pull Force: 231.55 lbs
    Surface Field: 7100 Gauss
    Brmax: 13,200 Gauss
    BHmax: 42 MGOe

With the above magnet,

if 20 lbs. equals 100 newtons

then,

231 lbs. equals 1155 newtons.

Is this correct?

When I go to online unit converters, I find that 1 watt = 1 joule = 1 newton.

I realize these are different terms relating to different things; power, energy and force. But is this how you would calculate the potential energy?

5. Dec 19, 2006 #4

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

:bugeye: :eek: :surprised :mad:

Which converters give you that, so we can steer people away from them in the future? :grumpy:

6. Dec 19, 2006 #5
  7. Dec 19, 2006 #6

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Woah! That's a big one!

Well, isn't this the information you are looking for?

Close, but a little high! To convert lbs to Newtons(N), multiply by 9.8/2.2 (or about 4.45).

This is completely nonsensical. What's true is that 1 Watt-second = 1 Joule = 1 Newton-meter. But this doesn't mean you can convert a force into an energy!

No, it's not. Any real calculation of PE will be far more involved.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook