Ferromagnetism: Permanent Magnetic Force and Kinetic Energy

In summary: It's just that some metals have more of it then others.In summary, the metal is losing energy because of the kinetic energy it has due to being close to the magnet.
debeselis
Can you explain me this:
Ferromagnet has permanent magnetic force and can't lose it in the constant conditions, so if i put magnet and piece of the metal it will be pulled away from the magnet creating some kinetic energy. As energy can't be created, just transfered, so I don't understand who lost energy in this situation?
Thank you in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
The person pulling the metal plate supplies the energy.

You didint get it. If you put metal piece next to the magnet, magnetic force will push it away and kinetic energy will be created, no human interfering

debeselis said:
You didint get it. If you put metal piece next to the magnet, magnetic force will push it away(1) and kinetic energy will be created(2), no human interfering
How do you put it?

(1)It will not push the metal, it will attract it.
(2)As you said before,it is not created, the potential energy of the magnet is transferred to kinetic energy. It gains potential energy while you(Or anything) puts it near the magnet.

debeselis said:
You didint get it. If you put metal piece next to the magnet, magnetic force will push it away and kinetic energy will be created, no human interfering
"You" are an interfering human.

You put on the table magnet and next to it piece of the metal. It doesn't matter if it attract or push, the point is that the metal will move.
Magnet doesn't generate or produce any kind of energy it is a force field. And if you are using this field to create energy, something has to loose the same amount of energy, So my question is who is loosing energ?

debeselis said:
You put on the table magnet and next to it piece of the metal. It doesn't matter if it attract or push, still it will generate energy.
Magnet doesn't generate or produce any kind of energy it is a force field. And if you are using this field to create energy, something has to loose the same amount of energy, So my question is who is loosing energ?
According to the law of conservation of energy, energy in a closed system will stay constant. It can only change from one form to another.
What happens here is that the potential energy of the metal is being changed to kinetic energy. So it moves.

Or are asking from where this potential energy comes from?

Likes 1 person
I understood your point adjacent, in that case the same example but from different point.
Lets say we have a nail nailed in the tree. If i want to take it out i need certain amount of energy but instead of using my own energy, i just can put next to it powerful enough magnet and pull out the nail. In the first scenario i would use much more energy to pull it out than in the second. How can it be?

debeselis said:
Lets say we have a nail nailed in the tree. If i want to take it out i need certain amount of energy but instead of using my own energy, i just can put next to it powerful enough magnet and pull out the nail. In the first scenario i would use much more energy to pull it out than in the second. How can it be?
Newton's third law. As much as the magnet will be pulling on the nail, you'll feel the pull towards the tree. You'll have to expand energy to keep the magnet in place and have the nail come to you.

debeselis said:
You put on the table magnet and next to it piece of the metal. It doesn't matter if it attract or push, the point is that the metal will move.
Metal is loosing energy. It lost potential energy it had on account of kinetic energy. Basically as long as thre is some magnet, all the metals in the universe have some potential energy due to it.

1. What is ferromagnetism?

Ferromagnetism is a phenomenon in which certain materials, such as iron, nickel, and cobalt, exhibit a permanent magnetic force even in the absence of an external magnetic field. This is due to the alignment of electron spins within the material.

2. How does ferromagnetism work?

Ferromagnetism is caused by the alignment of electron spins in the material. In a ferromagnetic material, the majority of the electron spins are aligned in the same direction, creating a net magnetic moment. This alignment can be maintained even after the external magnetic field is removed, resulting in a permanent magnetic force.

3. What is the difference between ferromagnetism and paramagnetism?

Ferromagnetism and paramagnetism are both types of magnetism, but they differ in their strength and origin. Ferromagnetism occurs in materials with a permanent magnetic force, while paramagnetism occurs in materials with a temporary magnetic force that is only present in the presence of an external magnetic field. Ferromagnetic materials have a stronger magnetic force than paramagnetic materials.

4. Can ferromagnetism be turned off?

Ferromagnetism cannot be turned off completely, as it is an intrinsic property of certain materials. However, the strength of the magnetic force can be reduced or canceled out by applying an external magnetic field in the opposite direction.

5. How is ferromagnetism used in technology?

Ferromagnetic materials are used in a variety of technological applications, such as in electric motors, generators, and transformers. They are also used in data storage devices, such as hard drives, which rely on the ability of ferromagnetic materials to retain a permanent magnetic force. Ferromagnetism is also used in medical imaging, such as in MRI machines, to produce detailed images of the body.