Magnet pull force Question's

• Thread starter Rusty69
  • Start date
Let's say a magnet is attached to an object that weigh's 15 pound's . Then someone attempt's to take the magnet off the object . The object then go's up with the magnet (still being attached to it ) Does that mean the magnet can lift 15 pound's ? Also when a magnet is rotateing through a coil does it's pull force slow it down ( is'nt the magnet pulling the wire ? )? Okay here's my last question, is it true that the stronger the pull force for a magnet the larger the size of it's magnetic feild ( am sorry for so many question's I'll try to help answer's other's once I get better in physic's.)?

Answers and Replies

Simply:

The pull force of a magnet is amount of force needed to remove from the object it is magnetically attracted to. This is a function of how strong its magnetic field is, and the properties of what it is attached to. For instance, a magnet may have a 100 pound pull force on steel, but a 0 pound pull force on aluminum. A generic "pull force" usually refers to some sort of plain steel. A magnet can be assumed to lift an amount of steel up to its pull force, assuming it makes good contact.

The pull force has nothing to do with a magnet in a coil.