Calculating Magnetic Force for 5kg Iron Sphere - Magnet Question

• Thread starter MonroeIns
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Magnet
In summary, the strength of a magnetic field falls off inversely with the cube of the distance. This means that the force on an iron sphere attracted by a magnet would decrease with the cube of the distance. The exact calculation would depend on the size and shape of the magnet and sphere, but generally if the magnet is longer than 10 cm, the force would decrease by 1/r^3.
MonroeIns
Hello, please forgive my ignorance. I need help coming up with a formula I can't seem to find on the internet. Assume I have a magnet that can attract a maximum of 5kg iron sphere against gravity from a distance .2m. My question is how much could that same magnet attract at a distance of .1m.

Wikipedia says that generally "the strength of the field falls off inversely with the cube of the distance."

Does that mean you could calculate by Mass * (Change In Distance)^3?

Please help...

Physics news on Phys.org
Your answer depends on the size and shape of the magnet and size of the iron sphere, compared to 100 cm. If it is a bar magnet of length much smaller than 10 cm and a small sphere, the magnetic field would fall off like 1/r^3, but the force on the sphere would fall off like 1/r^4. This is the force law for a dipole in the field of a dipole.
If the bar magnet is longer than ~10 cm, then force falls off more like 1/r^3.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hello, thank you for your question. The formula for calculating magnetic force is F = (magnetic field strength) x (magnetic field gradient) x (volume of object) x (magnetic susceptibility). In this case, the magnetic field strength would be the strength of the magnet, the magnetic field gradient would be the change in distance, and the volume of the object would be the volume of the iron sphere. The magnetic susceptibility is a property of the material and can be found in a table or calculated using the material's magnetic permeability and relative permeability.

Using this formula, you can calculate the magnetic force at a distance of 0.1m by plugging in the new distance and keeping all other variables the same. Keep in mind that this formula is an approximation and may not account for all factors, such as the shape of the magnet and the sphere. It is always best to consult a professional or conduct experiments to get more accurate results. I hope this helps!

1. What is magnetic force?

Magnetic force is a fundamental force of nature that is caused by the interaction between electrically charged particles. It is the force that causes magnets to attract or repel each other.

2. How is magnetic force calculated?

The magnitude of magnetic force can be calculated using the formula F = qvBsinθ, where q is the charge of the particle, v is the velocity of the particle, B is the magnetic field, and θ is the angle between the velocity and magnetic field.

3. What is a 5kg iron sphere?

A 5kg iron sphere refers to a spherical object made of iron that has a mass of 5 kilograms. It is a common unit of measurement in physics and engineering.

4. How do you calculate magnetic force for a 5kg iron sphere?

To calculate the magnetic force on a 5kg iron sphere, you will need to know the charge, velocity, and magnetic field acting on the sphere. Plug these values into the formula F = qvBsinθ and solve for F.

5. How does a magnet affect a 5kg iron sphere?

If a magnet is placed near a 5kg iron sphere, the magnetic field of the magnet will exert a force on the charged particles within the sphere. This will cause the sphere to experience a magnetic force and may result in attraction or repulsion between the magnet and the sphere, depending on the orientation of their magnetic fields.