Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnet Question, Please Help

1. Aug 22, 2008 #1
    Hello, please forgive my ignorance. I need help coming up with a formula I can't seem to find on the internet. Assume I have a magnet that can attract a maximum of 5kg iron sphere against gravity from a distance .2m. My question is how much could that same magnet attract at a distance of .1m.

Wikipedia says that generally "the strength of the field falls off inversely with the cube of the distance."

Does that mean you could calculate by Mass * (Change In Distance)^3?

Please help...
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 22, 2008 #2

Science Advisor

Your answer depends on the size and shape of the magnet and size of the iron sphere, compared to 100 cm. If it is a bar magnet of length much smaller than 10 cm and a small sphere, the magnetic field would fall off like 1/r^3, but the force on the sphere would fall off like 1/r^4. This is the force law for a dipole in the field of a dipole.
    If the bar magnet is longer than ~10 cm, then force falls off more like 1/r^3.
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?