Identifying Magnetic Rods: Brain-Teaser Challenge

• Thread starter novo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Magnet
In summary, lpfr says that if you put one extremity of a magnetized rod near the middle of a non-magnetized rod, you will induce an electric current. The current depends on the strength of the magnetism, and can result in different effects depending on where the magnetized rod is placed in relation to the non-magnetized rod.
novo
Sorry if this is a fundamental property or not, but I'm curious as hell. Today in class my proffesor had two identical iron rods. Same in weight and length. However, one is magnetic, and the other is not. He said, "You have the two rods and use of your brain. How do you find out which is the magnetic one?"
That means without suspending them to see which turns towards N/S. Or any other means, like a compass. etc.

Thanks in advance.
-n

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Break (or cut) both in half, and what do you think should happen?

I think that the catch is to see if the extremity of one of the rods attires the midpoint of the other. If it does it is magnetized. If not, the other must attire the midpoint of the first.

How would you break a solid iron rod in half with your bare hands?

lpfr, think you can further explain? Sorry... =\

How would you be able to tell which attires which? They're completely identical in apperance.

Magnets sometimes feel weird as soon as you pick them up.
i.e. It's possible you can sense the pull of the Earth's magnetic field just holding one in your hand.

and what lpfr said, the ends suck more than the middle is probably the right answer.

Last edited:
A magnetized rod attires iron stronger near its extremities and not at all near the middle. When you put near two extremities there will be one which will attire the other. But when you put a bit of iron near the middle of a magnet rod it will not be attired. Then, if there is any force between the extremity of a rod and the middle of the other, it is the extremity which is magnetized.

I completely understand what you're saying lpfr, but the thing is all i have is the magnet and the rod, but don't know which is the magnet and which is the rod. No iron fillings, nothing like that. Either way, thanks for your answers guys.

I do not think that you completely understood what I said.

Let's label a rod A and the other B. You put one extremity of rod A near the middle of rod B.
If you feel an attraction, this means that rod A is magnetized. That's all.
You can verify putting one extremity of rod B near the middle of rod A. If you feel an attraction, this means that rod B is magnetized.

Ah, thanks a lot lpfr.

Alternatively:

A magnet moving at high speeds near a conductor will induce a current due to the changing magnetic flux. Wave both iron bars as fast as possible near your head (without hitting your head, this will negate the results of the experiment). The non-magnetized bar will induce no current within the presumably conductive neurons in the brain. However, the magnetized bar will induce current, resulting in anything from hallucination to memory loss to a mild headache (hence the warning against hitting yourself)

1. How do magnetic rods work?

Magnetic rods work by having a north and south pole that attract and repel each other. They are typically made of a ferromagnetic material, such as iron or steel, which can be magnetized by aligning its atomic dipoles in the same direction.

2. How can I identify a magnetic rod?

To identify a magnetic rod, you can use a compass. The compass needle will align with the magnetic field of the rod, indicating its polarity. You can also use a magnetometer, a device that measures magnetic fields, to identify the strength and direction of the magnetic field.

3. What are the applications of magnetic rods?

Magnetic rods have many applications, including in compasses, motors, generators, speakers, and magnetic storage devices. They are also used in medical imaging, such as MRI machines, and in industrial processes, such as separating iron from other materials.

4. How do I strengthen the magnetic field of a rod?

You can strengthen the magnetic field of a rod by increasing the number of aligned atomic dipoles. This can be done by increasing the strength of the magnetizing field or by using a stronger ferromagnetic material. You can also stack multiple rods together to create a stronger magnetic field.

5. Can magnetic rods lose their magnetism?

Yes, magnetic rods can lose their magnetism over time due to factors such as exposure to high temperatures, strong external magnetic fields, or physical damage. However, some materials, like neodymium, have a higher coercivity, meaning they are more resistant to losing their magnetism.