Fluctuating Magnets: A Guide to Interacting Magnetic Fields

In summary, it would be possible to fluctuate one magnet between two magnets by using an electromagnet.
rtf
How would it be possible to fluctuate one magnet between two magnets?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
rtf said:
That question is very unclear. Can you rephrase it? What exactly is it you want to do?

rtf said:

Did you give it a try?

phinds said:
That question is very unclear. Can you rephrase it? What exactly is it you want to do?
I want to have one set of magnets go up and down really fast between two other sets of magnets.

Mister T said:
Did you give it a try?
No

Last edited by a moderator:
rtf said:
I want to have one set of magnets go up and down really fast between two other sets of magnets.
And what force are you going to use to make that happen?

rtf said:
...why? I mean, it's peculiarly specific. If you want a magnet to go up and down, that's easy enough (at least in principle) with an electromagnet driven by an alternating current. Some engineering may be required depending on how big the magnet is. Why do you demand magnets?

Ibix said:
...why? I mean, it's peculiarly specific. If you want a magnet to go up and down, that's easy enough (at least in principle) with an electromagnet driven by an alternating current. Some engineering may be required depending on how big the magnet is. Why do you demand magnets?
I thought it would be interesting.

rtf said:
I thought it would be interesting.
Interesting or not, I don't see how it's possible to do with permanent magnets. If you use electromagnets, and probably some control electronics, then sure it's doable.

Holy smokes, rtf, is it hard to squeeze information out of you. If you want help, you need to tell us what you need help with! Don't leave us to guess. Live a little - try writing two sentences in a reply rather than just one.

Yeah. @rtf -- We try our best to be helpful here at the PF, but so far you have given us so little to go on, it's not been possible.

So this thread is closed for now. Please start a private conversation with me (click on my Avatar and Start a Conversation), and send me drawings of what you are asking about. Also let me know why you are asking these questions -- what would you like to do?

Once I understand what you want to ask, I can help you with a follow-up post in this thread here and re-open it. Thank you. :smile:

Last edited:
Likes phinds

1. What are fluctuating magnets?

Fluctuating magnets are materials that have varying magnetic properties due to the presence of interacting magnetic fields. These materials can exhibit changes in their magnetic strength, direction, or orientation over time.

2. How do interacting magnetic fields affect fluctuating magnets?

Interacting magnetic fields can cause fluctuations in the magnetic properties of a material by inducing changes in the alignment of the magnetic domains within the material. This can result in variations in the overall magnetic strength or direction of the material.

3. What are some real-world applications of fluctuating magnets?

Fluctuating magnets have a wide range of applications, including in data storage devices, sensors, and medical imaging equipment. They are also used in various industrial and scientific processes, such as magnetic separation and particle acceleration.

4. Can fluctuating magnets be controlled or manipulated?

Yes, fluctuating magnets can be controlled and manipulated using external magnetic fields. By applying a magnetic field, the fluctuations in the material's magnetic properties can be altered or even completely suppressed.

5. Are there any risks associated with working with fluctuating magnets?

As with any magnetic material, there are potential risks associated with strong fluctuating magnets, such as interference with electronic devices and potential hazards for individuals with pacemakers or other medical implants. It is important to handle and use these materials safely and according to proper guidelines.