Magnet type question

1. I'm planning to use some permanent magnets in a new kind of heat engine I designed. The properties I am seeking are:

- Resistance to shockwaves and high acceleration,
    - Relatively great strength/weight ratio,
    - and relatively high curie temperature.

After a quick research, I think the best fit type of magnet would be "Alnico"s which are robust and temperature resistant. However I need to know if there are any strong rare-earth magnets that do not break easily and suitable for this job,

Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Some brushless model aircraft electric motors rotate at very high rpm. The rotor is wrapped with carbon fibre to help keep the magnets attached.

1 person likes this.
  4. Wrapping with carbon fiber will not decrease the force applied on the magnets so they will shatter anyway. Also, carbon fiber is flammable.

...but you gave me an idea that neodymium magnets are coated by nickel. Can I instead use a stronger metal to contain the powder?

edit: Any type of plating is possible, so I decided to coat with steel or gold. "https://www.kjmagnetics.com/neomaginfo.asp"

Last edited: Jul 27, 2014
  5. If wrapping with carbon fibre doesn't help then I've no idea how plating with gold or steel helps? Guess I totally misunderstand what you are trying to do.

6. Nope, I'm wrong, nothing will help. How do we close the thread?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thead via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?

Draft saved Draft deleted