1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic balloon theory

1. Nov 10, 2011 #1
    Hello there all, i'm a bit of a noob when it comes to a couple of these subjects but i was wondering if there is a particle of some sort that could be energized with an electrical charge and when this electrical charge passes through these particles it could make them act like hot air or helium but instead of a balloon containing these charged particles it's a magnetic field which would cause lift perhaps? I'm not sure, that is why i came here can anybody help me?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 11, 2011 #2
    I don't think so unless there might be some exotic example.

This means adding or removing electrons....

a moving electric charge always has an associated magnetic field....like around a current carrying conductor....but the magnetic field does not in general "contain charged particles" anymore than does the magnetic field of a magnet.

consider lightning: it does a lot of stuff, like ionizing air into charged particles, has a magnetic field associated with the flow of charge, creates sound (thunder, a sonic phenomena).....but if I understand your posted description, doesn't provide THAT.

4. Nov 11, 2011 #3
    After I posted my reply , I wondered if aspects of a plasma might relate to your question:
    (I don't think so, but maybe it will give your some insights.)

See for yourself: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plasma_(physics [Broken])

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  5. Nov 11, 2011 #4
    Just batting around an idea, if one had a sharpened needle well inside a balloon envelope and charged it strongly, you would put charge into the air inside, and since like charges repel, you would see a tiny flow of charged air out of the balloon (assuming it was open at the bottom), however the resulting reduced air pressure inside would cause a volume reduction in the balloon.

So, that doesn't help.

LOL, interesting question.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook