Magnetic Braking: Examining Relative Motion of Wire and Field

In summary, a rectangular loop of wire moving into a uniform magnetic field will have an induced current due to the change in magnetic flux through the loop. The motion of the electrons due to the motion of the wire can be ignored as it does not contribute to an electromagnetic effect. The induced emf in the loop is the time rate of change of the flux through the loop. The net force on the loop is to the left, opposite to the direction of motion, due to the interaction between the current in the loop and the applied magnetic field. The velocity of the wire itself does not create a force, only the velocity of the current relative to the wire.
EFuzzy
When a rectangular loop of wire is drawn into a uniform magnetic field, there will be an induced current. What I don't understand is whether there are two components to the motion of the electrons, one of the current relative to the wire, and one of the whole wire relative to the field.

If we just consider the constant current relative to the wire, then the top and bottom edge's magnetic force cancel out. However, after taking into account the movement of the whole loop, there should be a net downward force.

However, my textbook states that there is only a force to the left. Maybe I'm looking at the wrong reference frame. Could someone explain this?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
EFuzzy said:
When a rectangular loop of wire is drawn into a uniform magnetic field, there will be an induced current. What I don't understand is whether there are two components to the motion of the electrons, one of the current relative to the wire, and one of the whole wire relative to the field.
The motion of the electrons due to the motion of the wire does not contribute to an electromagnetic effect here and can be ignored.

The induced emf in the loop is the time rate of change of the flux through the loop ie: the motion of electrons is caused by the magnetic flux inside the loop changing.

If the loop is being drawn into a uniform magnetic field from a region where there is no field, so that part of the loop is outside and part is inside, there is a change in the magnetic flux ([itex]\phi = \int B\cdot dA[/itex]) through the loop and an emf in the loop: [itex]emf = d\phi/dt[/itex]. If it is simply moving in a uniform magnetic field, there is no change in the flux through the loop so there is no emf.

If we just consider the constant current relative to the wire, then the top and bottom edge's magnetic force cancel out. However, after taking into account the movement of the whole loop, there should be a net downward force.

However, my textbook states that there is only a force to the left. Maybe I'm looking at the wrong reference frame. Could someone explain this?
[/quote]I might have to see a diagram here to understand where you are having a problem.

I assume the rectangular loop is moving to the right into the magnetic field. The flux through the loop is increasing, so there is an induced emf in the wire. The emf in the loop creates a current in the loop. The current in the vertical section of wire on the right side of the loop creates a magnetic field around the wire that interacts with the applied magnetic field in a way that opposes its motion through the field - so it pushes to the left. Since the vertical section on the left is not in the applied field, there is no force on the left side of the loop. So the net force is to the left. The current in the horizontal sections of the loop interact with the applied magnetic field and push in opposite directions so they cancel out. The total net force is left, opposite to the direction of motion.

AM

Thanks for your response, however, I'm having trouble understanding this part:

Andrew Mason said:
The motion of the electrons due to the motion of the wire does not contribute to an electromagnetic effect here and can be ignored.

Isn't the net drift velocity of the electrons exceedingly slow? In that case, the motion of the wire might actually be faster than the motion of electrons relative to the wire.

EFuzzy said:
Thanks for your response, however, I'm having trouble understanding this part:

Isn't the net drift velocity of the electrons exceedingly slow? In that case, the motion of the wire might actually be faster than the motion of electrons relative to the wire.
The motion of the wire moves the electons and protons at the same speed. The wire is electrically neutral. How are you suggesting that this motion creates an electromagnetic effect?

AM

the forces on the electrons will only be according to the velocity component which is perpendicular to the magnetic field, therefor it is only dependent on the velocity of the current in the wire. why? because the velocity of electrons can be made of two components, the velocity in reference to the wire, and the velocity of the wire itself - the velocity of the wire is in the same direction as the magnetic field therefor will not create force, and the other velocity is perpendicular to the magnetic field, therefor will create force.

so the force will only be dependent on one component of the velocity, the one in relative to the wire.

Andrew Mason said:
The motion of the wire moves the electons and protons at the same speed. The wire is electrically neutral.

AM

Oh, I think I see where I went wrong then. :cool: Thanks for your help!

1. How does magnetic braking work?

Magnetic braking works by using the force of a magnetic field to slow down the motion of a conductive wire. When an electric current flows through the wire, it creates a magnetic field around the wire. This magnetic field interacts with the external magnetic field, creating a force that opposes the motion of the wire. This resistance force slows down the motion of the wire.

2. What is the relative motion between the wire and the magnetic field?

The relative motion between the wire and magnetic field is the motion of the wire with respect to the magnetic field. In the case of magnetic braking, the wire is typically moving in a direction perpendicular to the magnetic field lines. This relative motion is what causes the magnetic braking effect to occur.

3. What factors affect the strength of magnetic braking?

The strength of magnetic braking is affected by several factors. These include the strength of the external magnetic field, the velocity of the wire, the length and thickness of the wire, and the type of material the wire is made of. Additionally, the angle between the wire and the external magnetic field can also affect the strength of the braking force.

4. What are the applications of magnetic braking?

Magnetic braking has several practical applications. It is commonly used in braking systems for trains and roller coasters, as well as in some types of motors and generators. It is also utilized in some types of energy harvesting technology, where the motion of a conductive material is converted into electrical energy through the process of magnetic braking.

5. How is magnetic braking different from other types of braking?

Magnetic braking is different from other types of braking, such as friction braking, in that it does not rely on physical contact between two surfaces to slow down the motion. Instead, it uses the force of a magnetic field to generate a resistance force that opposes the motion of the conductive material. This can result in smoother and more efficient braking, as well as less wear and tear on the braking components.