1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic circuit for Saturable reactor

1. Oct 9, 2005 #1
    I have a problem that has a common core and two wound coils. The core is square with sides A and D opposite and C and B opposite. Side A and D have the same cross sectional area and side C & B have the same cross sectional area. Sides C and B have the coil around them. I know the current in the coil around C and I need to determine the current in the coil around B to produce a flux density of 0.6T in The two vertical limbs(C and B). I also know the core lengths and turns of each coil.

My question: I can find the reactance in each length, I can find the flux in each length from Coil 1, I can find the flux in each length in terms of i2 from coil 2. I know that F=flux * reactance. I do not know which terms will be equal to find a relationship to solve for i2. any help would be appreciated.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 17, 2005 #2

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

*bump* Moving over from Introductory Physics.

This thread might get more love in Engineering.

4. Oct 19, 2005 #3

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?