Magnetic circuit for Saturable reactor

In summary, the question is about determining the current in the second coil in order to produce a flux density of 0.6T in the two vertical limbs of a square core with two wound coils. The current in one coil is known, as well as the core lengths and turns of each coil. The thread suggests finding the reactance in each length and using the equation F=flux * reactance to find a relationship to solve for the current in the second coil. A tutorial is recommended for further guidance.
bobber_adam
I have a problem that has a common core and two wound coils. The core is square with sides A and D opposite and C and B opposite. Side A and D have the same cross sectional area and side C & B have the same cross sectional area. Sides C and B have the coil around them. I know the current in the coil around C and I need to determine the current in the coil around B to produce a flux density of 0.6T in The two vertical limbs(C and B). I also know the core lengths and turns of each coil.

My question: I can find the reactance in each length, I can find the flux in each length from Coil 1, I can find the flux in each length in terms of i2 from coil 2. I know that F=flux * reactance. I do not know which terms will be equal to find a relationship to solve for i2. any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
*bump* Moving over from Introductory Physics.

This thread might get more love in Engineering.

What is a saturable reactor?

A saturable reactor is a type of magnetic circuit that uses a magnetic core with variable permeability to control the flow of current in a circuit. This allows for the regulation of voltage and current in a power system.

How does a saturable reactor work?

A saturable reactor works by varying the magnetic flux in its core. When the flux is low, the permeability of the core is high, allowing more current to flow through the circuit. As the flux increases, the permeability decreases, which limits the amount of current that can pass through the circuit.

What are the main applications of saturable reactors?

Saturable reactors are commonly used in power systems to regulate voltage and current, as well as in electronic equipment such as amplifiers and oscillators. They are also used in industrial applications, such as welding and metal processing, to control the flow of current and maintain stable power levels.

What are the advantages of using a saturable reactor?

Saturable reactors offer several advantages, including the ability to regulate voltage and current in a circuit, reduce power losses, and protect sensitive equipment from power surges. They also have a simple design and are cost-effective compared to other methods of power regulation.

What are the limitations of saturable reactors?

One limitation of saturable reactors is that they can only regulate the flow of current in one direction. They also have a limited range of operation and may not be suitable for high-power applications. Additionally, they can introduce unwanted harmonics into the power system, which can cause issues with other equipment.