1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic circuit question

1. Sep 26, 2012 #1
    the question is;

if there only a current in coil a, and it is AC, calculate the rms current required in coil a to maintain an alternating flux in core section a with a peak value of 1.2T calculate the rm voltages at the two coil terminals if coil resistances are neglected

(attached in the previous question which is continued on by this)

So I derived the magnetic equivalent of this circuit which is basically mmf connected to reluctance (R) equivalent. What do I do from here?

at the moment I am here;

F = R * Flux

With that

F= NI, N = 200, R = Req which i have found already and flux = B*A

200 I = Req * B*A

do i substitute in 1.2T for b and solve for I? then multiple by √2 or am i going in the complete wrong direction?

help will be greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2012 #2

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Did they give you the permeability?

4. Sep 26, 2012 #3
    relative permeability is 10,000,
    multiply that by uo

5. Sep 27, 2012 #4

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Well, you got NI = flux*reluctance right, so what's preventing you from solving for I? And yes, you need to divide by √2 to get rms current. The formula NI = R*flux is for instantaneous values of I and flux.

To get the two winding voltages you go to Mr. Faraday.

(Realize that there are two reluctance paths, right?)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook