How to Calculate RMS Current and Voltage in an AC Magnetic Circuit?

In summary, the question is asking for the magnetic equivalent of a circuit with an AC current in coil A, and a peak value of 1.2T. The person is asking what to do from here, and they gave you the equivalent flux and resistance values. They also said that you need to solve for the current I, and that you can do that by dividing by √2. The last portion of the question is asking what to do if there are two reluctance paths. The answer is that you need to go to Mr. Faraday to get the two winding voltages.
spoonjabba
the question is;

if there only a current in coil a, and it is AC, calculate the rms current required in coil a to maintain an alternating flux in core section a with a peak value of 1.2T calculate the rm voltages at the two coil terminals if coil resistances are neglected

(attached in the previous question which is continued on by this)

So I derived the magnetic equivalent of this circuit which is basically mmf connected to reluctance (R) equivalent. What do I do from here?

at the moment I am here;

F = R * Flux

With that

F= NI, N = 200, R = Req which i have found already and flux = B*A

200 I = Req * B*A

do i substitute in 1.2T for b and solve for I? then multiple by √2 or am i going in the complete wrong direction?

help will be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 2012-09-26 19.06.04.jpg
    2012-09-26 19.06.04.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 443
Physics news on Phys.org
relative permeability is 10,000,
multiply that by uo

spoonjabba said:
the question is;

if there only a current in coil a, and it is AC, calculate the rms current required in coil a to maintain an alternating flux in core section a with a peak value of 1.2T calculate the rm voltages at the two coil terminals if coil resistances are neglected

(attached in the previous question which is continued on by this)

So I derived the magnetic equivalent of this circuit which is basically mmf connected to reluctance (R) equivalent. What do I do from here?

at the moment I am here;

F = R * Flux

With that

200 I = Req * B*A

do i substitute in 1.2T for b and solve for I? then multiple by √2 or am i going in the complete wrong direction?

spoonjabba said:
the question is;

200 I = Req * B*A

Well, you got NI = flux*reluctance right, so what's preventing you from solving for I? And yes, you need to divide by √2 to get rms current. The formula NI = R*flux is for instantaneous values of I and flux.

To get the two winding voltages you go to Mr. Faraday.

(Realize that there are two reluctance paths, right?)

I would first suggest double-checking your calculations and equations to ensure they are correct. It is important to have accurate values and equations before moving forward with the problem.

Assuming your equations and values are correct, you are on the right track. To calculate the RMS current required in coil a, you can substitute the given peak flux value of 1.2T for B in your equation. Then, solve for I. This will give you the RMS current required to maintain an alternating flux of 1.2T in core section a.

Next, to calculate the RMS voltage at the two coil terminals, you can use Ohm's Law (V = IR) to find the voltage drop across each coil. Since the resistance of the coils is neglected, the voltage drop will be equal to the RMS voltage at the terminals.

I hope this helps guide you in the right direction. Remember to always double-check your calculations and equations to ensure accuracy. Good luck with your problem!

1. What is a magnetic circuit?

A magnetic circuit is a closed path or loop through which a magnetic flux flows. It is made up of magnetic materials such as iron, steel, or ferrite, and it is used to transfer the magnetic energy from one point to another.

2. How does a magnetic circuit work?

A magnetic circuit works by directing the flow of magnetic flux through a specific path. The flux is created by a magnetic field, and it is channeled through the magnetic material, which concentrates and increases its strength. This allows the magnetic energy to be used for various purposes, such as generating electricity in a generator or creating a magnetic force in an electromagnet.

3. What is the difference between a magnetic circuit and an electric circuit?

A magnetic circuit is similar to an electric circuit in that it has a closed path and follows the laws of conservation of energy. However, the main difference is that in a magnetic circuit, the energy is in the form of magnetic flux, whereas in an electric circuit, the energy is in the form of electrical current.

4. How can I calculate the magnetic flux in a magnetic circuit?

To calculate the magnetic flux in a magnetic circuit, you can use the formula Φ = B x A, where Φ is the magnetic flux, B is the magnetic field strength, and A is the cross-sectional area of the magnetic material. You can also use the formula Φ = NI, where N is the number of turns in a coil and I is the electric current flowing through the coil.

5. What are some real-life applications of magnetic circuits?

Magnetic circuits have many practical applications, such as in motors, generators, transformers, and electromagnets. They are also used in various electronic devices, such as speakers, hard drives, and MRI machines. Additionally, magnetic circuits are essential in power transmission and distribution systems, where they help to regulate the flow of electricity and reduce energy losses.