Investigating the Magnetic Properties of Coffee: A Cheap Experiment

In summary, the conversation discusses the phenomenon of coffee particles sticking to a spoon when making instant coffee. One explanation is that it could be due to the presence of ferromagnetic materials in the coffee. Another theory suggests that it could be caused by the moisture in the hot water allowing the particles to coalesce in a certain way. The conversation also mentions the possibility of conducting experiments to further understand this phenomenon.
alexepascual
You can try this. Boil water in a cup, and put a teaspoon of instantaneous coffee in it. I have observed that when you do this, most of the time there is some coffee sticking to the spoon after I empty it in the cup. these particles of cofee form filaments like those that are formed by iron filings in a magnetic field. They stick out from the spoon like if they were being repeled.
I have not done this as an experiment but It just happens that I make coffee that way and I usually observe this phenomenon. Now, if this was magnetism, then I would suspect the coffee has been adulterated with some ferromagnetic material. I have not tried doing it with a plastic spoon, which would I guess disprove the magnetic theory if it still happens.
Another explanation would be that the moisture from the hot water somehow allows the particles in the coffee to coalesce in a particular way.
I have lately been too busy to start doing experiments on this, but maybe some of you guys have the time and can tell us your experience and conclussions on this topic. The nice thing is that it is a cheap experiment.

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe it is your personal magnetism.

I'd just like to have some of that instantaneous coffee. Where can I get that? :biggrin:

lol about the instantaneous coffee.

Wow...Math is Hard...that's quite the Borg drone...looks a bit like a female version of Hugh (so what would you call her?)

Sorry for the totally off topic post. Then again, so was yours, MIH. :tongue2:

cepheid said:
lol about the instantaneous coffee.

Wow...Math is Hard...that's quite the Borg drone...looks a bit like a female version of Hugh (so what would you call her?)

Sorry for the totally off topic post. Then again, so was yours, MIH. :tongue2:
Thanks, cepheid. It's my Halloween costume! Trick or treat! :biggrin:

Yes, I was completely off-topic. However, I am presently sitting here with a cup of instant coffee making observations. I think I have ruined the experiment by adding creamer, nutra-sweet, and by stirring with a plastic spoon.

Well, did it work?

Results were inconclusive. :frown: This probably has something to do with me being extremely bad at chemistry, though. :biggrin:

Its the same reason dust sticks to everything: yes, its magnetic. It comes from static electricity.

alexepascual said:
these particles of cofee form filaments like those that are formed by iron filings in a magnetic field. They stick out from the spoon like if they were being repeled.

I have not done the experiment or anythign but I was thinking that maybe the particles of coffee form those filaments because of the way you stir the spoon around the cup and might not to be to do with magnetism at all.

1. What materials do I need for this experiment?

To conduct this experiment, you will need the following materials: a cup of coffee, a small magnet, a spoon, and a clean surface to work on.

2. How do I test the magnetic properties of coffee?

First, place the small magnet on the clean surface. Then, using the spoon, slowly pour the coffee over the magnet. Observe if the coffee reacts to the magnet by forming a pattern or moving in any way. Repeat this process a few times to see if the results are consistent.

3. Why is it important to use a small magnet?

A small magnet is important because it allows for more accurate results. Using a large magnet may overpower the weak magnetic properties of the coffee, making it difficult to observe any reactions.

4. What are the possible reasons for coffee having magnetic properties?

There are a few possible reasons for coffee having magnetic properties. One reason could be the presence of iron particles in the coffee beans, which can be attracted to the magnet. Another reason could be the presence of minerals in the water used to brew the coffee, which can also be magnetic.

5. Is this experiment reliable?

This experiment is a simple and inexpensive way to investigate the magnetic properties of coffee. While the results may not be as precise as a laboratory experiment, it can still provide some insight into the topic. However, for more accurate and reliable results, it is recommended to use a more controlled and precise method of investigation.