Magnetic compression

• Thread starter owlal85
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

Hi,
I want to study magnetic compression theory.
I want to able to calculate and simulate how magnetic compression can store or give back energy from a circuit
Any differential equation are available for this ?
Any tutorial will be helpfull.
Thanks

Answers and Replies

vk6kro
Science Advisor
Are you asking about INDUCTANCE or THIS:

A dense plasma focus (DPF) is a plasma machine that produces, by electromagnetic acceleration and compression, short-lived plasma that is so hot and dense that it becomes a copious multi-radiation source. It was invented in the early 1960s by J.W. Mather and also independently by N.V. Filippov. The electromagnetic compression of a plasma is called a "pinch". The plasma focus is similar to the high-intensity plasma gun device (HIPGD) (or just plasma gun), which ejects plasma in the form of a plasmoid, without pinching it.

If it is the latter, there is an article in Wikipedia under "dense plasma focus". Not something most of us get to play with.

Would storing energy in a magnetic coil, such as a solenoid or a torus be OK? How much energy do you want to store? For how long? There are superconducting magnets that can store a lot of magnetic energy. One Tesla stored in 1 cubic meter is

E = (1/2u0) Integral[B2 dV] = 398 kilojoules

I believe you are asking about magnetic modulators.
The book "Radar Transmitters" by George W. Ewell" has 6 pages on this subject listed under Saturating Magnetic Switches.

Good Luck
Carl