1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic constant query

1. Jul 21, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hi. I don't have any physics book at the moment. This has something to do with magnets&magnetic poles:

What is the force between two magnet poles of strengths 40amp-m and 50amp-m at a distance of 10cm in the air?

This sounds easy, but my problem is I don't know the magnetic constant to use. Our professor said the constant is 10^7N/Amp^2. But, I don't think its correct since he wasnt sure about it too. I tried to look for it in the net, but I can find nothing with that value...

Thanks

2. Relevant equations

Also, our professor told us that the formula is: F = (constant(q1)(q2))/(distance^2)

3. The attempt at a solution

so using the constant he gave us

F = (10^7N/A^2)(40amp-m)(50amp-m)/(0.10m)^2
    F= 10^7(40)(50)N

Which seems correct, but i'm not sure about the value of the constant...

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 21, 2010 #2
    The constant he gave you is the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Permeability_%28electromagnetism%29" [Broken].
    Basically a measure of how "easily" a material (in this case vacuum) can support a magnetic field.

However it should be used in place of the Permittivity of free space you find in Coulomb's Law for electrostatics.

There appears to be a second (computational) mistake in your calculation as well.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  4. Jul 21, 2010 #3
    thanks...a lot... i think i forgot the 0.01 :D thanks :D

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook