1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic Damping

1. Apr 17, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I'd really appreciate it if someone could point me in the right direction in terms of equations to use for this problem:
    Bar magnet suspended at either end by 2 pieces of string which are attached vertically above the magnet to a stationary metal rod (so that the bar magnet oscillates rotationally), underneath the magnet I placed a sheet of aluminium, so when i rotated the magnet and released it, the oscillations were damped by the eddy current induced in the sheet of aluminium below it. I understand that this is because the eddy current induced in the aluminium has its own magnetic field, and a force acts between this field and the magnetic field of the bar magnet.

2. Relevant equations
    I have already derived equations for undamped motion of the system, and can find the starting energy of the system by either integrating torque with respect to x (x being original angle displace) or by using E=0.5Iw^2 (w=rotational velocity.) The equations for torque (T), acceleration (a) and velocity (w)in terms of x are :
    a=T/I (I=moment of inertia=1/375 in my set up)
    w^2=100(0.5+0.5cosx)^1.5 - 25root2 (25root2 is due to starting angle of pi/2)

I dont think the equations affect the solution to the magnetic problem, I just thought id add them for anyone who is interested.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have found the equations for undamped motion, and understand the principle of the dampening, I considered trying to use faraday's law saying the aluminium sheet could be treated as a one turn coil? but my friend said that was wrong. Presumably the solution will be only solvable if i have equations of motion in terms of time rather than angle displaced, ill work on that.

In terms of explanations- my maths understanding extends to A level Further Pure.
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?