1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic dipole problem

1. Nov 23, 2004 #1

StatusX

Homework Helper

I need to find the field of a magnetic dipole embedded in the center of a linear magnetic sphere of radius R. My idea was that the field would be identical to that of a superposition of a dipole in a linear magnetic material throughout space and a surface current on the sphere equal to the bound surface current from this field. The answer I get for the field insid the sphere has the reduced dipole moment term right, and I also got that the extra term would be constant, and a multiple of the dipole moment. But where as I got this for the extra term:

[tex] -\frac{\mu}{4\pi}\frac{2(\mu_0 - \mu) \vec m}{(3\mu) R^3}[/tex]

the book gave:

[tex] -\frac{\mu}{4\pi}\frac{2(\mu_0 - \mu) \vec m}{(2\mu_0 + \mu) R^3}[/tex]

Do you know what I did wrong? I'm close, and I can't find a step where a simple change will result in this small difference in the final answer. Am I way off, and its just a coincidence its so close?

EDIT: Never mind, I got it.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2004
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted