1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic dipole radiation

1. Oct 31, 2008 #1
    What is the nature of magnetic dipole radiation????
    Does a rotating bar magnet give rise to electromagnetic radiation(magnetic dipole radiation to be more specific)???????

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 31, 2008 #2

clem

Science Advisor

A rotating bar magnet would produce MD radiation, but it would have to be rotating very fast. MD radiation is just like ED radiation, but has B in the plane of r and an oscillating dipole, while ED has E in that plane. A rotating magnet would produce circular polarization along the axis of rotation, and plane polarization perpendicular to the axis.

4. Jan 6, 2012 #3
    Im currently stuck on a related problem. I cannot figure out the conditions under which a rotation magnetic dipole moment will radiate.

If I know a MD M is rotating with angular frequency w, how would you find the conditions under which it will radiate? I know if you went into it thoroughly you can figure out the power radiated by explicitly finding E and B to find the radiative component of S, but I still don't know the relationship between M and w that allows it to radiate.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook