Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic dipole radiation

1. Oct 31, 2008 #1
    What is the nature of magnetic dipole radiation????
    Does a rotating bar magnet give rise to electromagnetic radiation(magnetic dipole radiation to be more specific)???????
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 31, 2008 #2

Science Advisor

A rotating bar magnet would produce MD radiation, but it would have to be rotating very fast. MD radiation is just like ED radiation, but has B in the plane of r and an oscillating dipole, while ED has E in that plane. A rotating magnet would produce circular polarization along the axis of rotation, and plane polarization perpendicular to the axis.
  4. Jan 6, 2012 #3
    Im currently stuck on a related problem. I cannot figure out the conditions under which a rotation magnetic dipole moment will radiate.

If I know a MD M is rotating with angular frequency w, how would you find the conditions under which it will radiate? I know if you went into it thoroughly you can figure out the power radiated by explicitly finding E and B to find the radiative component of S, but I still don't know the relationship between M and w that allows it to radiate.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?