Solving E&M Midterm: Force & Torque on Magnetic Dipole

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the force and torque on a magnetic dipole located at (r, \varphi) in the presence of a line current of I at the origin. The equations used are \vec{F}=-\nabla U=-\nabla(\vec{m}\cdot\vec{B}) and \vec{\tau}=\vec{m}\times\vec{B}. The field is given by \vec{B}=\frac{\mu_0 I}{2\pi r}\hat{\varphi} and the angle between the field and dipole is \theta=\frac{\pi}{2}-tan^{-1}(\frac{m_\varphi}{m_r}).
Matterwave
Science Advisor
Gold Member
So I got a question on a E&M Midterm:

There is a line current of I at the origin going in the Z direction. There is a magnetic dipole of:
[tex]\vec{m}=m_r\hat{r}+m_\varphi\hat{\varphi}[/tex] located at [tex](r,\varphi)[/tex]. What is the force and torque on this magnetic dipole?

So I used the equations:
[tex]\vec{F}=-\nabla U=-\nabla(\vec{m}\cdot\vec{B})[/tex]
[tex]\vec{\tau}=\vec{m}\times\vec{B}[/tex]

I know from Ampere's law that the field is:
[tex]\vec{B}=\frac{\mu_0 I}{2\pi r}\hat{\varphi}[/tex]

So, I reason that the angle between the field and the dipole is:
[tex]\theta=\frac{\pi}{2}-tan^{-1}(\frac{m_\varphi}{m_r})[/tex]
Since the field is only in the [tex]\varphi[/tex] direction, I just drew a triangle.
Therefore, I got that:
[tex]\vec{F}=-\nabla(\vec{m}\cdot\vec{B})=-\nabla(mBcos(\theta))=-\nabla(\frac{\mu_0 I}{2\pi r}\sqrt{m_\varphi^2+m_r^2}sin(tan^{-1}(\frac{m_\varphi}{m_r}))=\frac{\mu_0 I}{2\pi r^2}\sqrt{m_\varphi^2+m_r^2}sin(tan^{-1}(\frac{m_\varphi}{m_r}))\hat{r}[/tex]
[tex]\vec{\tau}=\vec{m}\times\vec{B}=mBsin(\theta)\hat{z}=\frac{\mu_0 I}{2\pi r}\sqrt{m_\varphi^2+m_r^2}cos(tan^{-1}(\frac{m_\varphi}{m_r}))\hat{z}[/tex]

Unfortunately these are all wrong, as far as I can tell from looking at my Professor's solutions. What did I do wrong? =(

Physics news on Phys.org
I should say what my Professor's answers were:

[tex]F_\varphi=-m_r\frac{B_\varphi}{r}[/tex]
[tex]\tau_z=-rF_\varphi[/tex]

1. What is the purpose of solving E&M midterm on force and torque on magnetic dipole?

The purpose of solving E&M midterm on force and torque on magnetic dipole is to understand the fundamental principles of electromagnetism and how they apply to the behavior of magnetic dipoles. This includes understanding how forces and torques act on magnetic dipoles in different situations, and how to calculate and analyze these forces and torques using equations and mathematical techniques.

2. What are some common applications of understanding force and torque on magnetic dipoles?

Understanding force and torque on magnetic dipoles is important in a variety of fields and industries, including electrical engineering, physics, and materials science. Some common applications include designing and optimizing electric motors and generators, studying the behavior of magnetic materials, and developing technologies such as magnetic levitation and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI).

3. How do I calculate the force and torque on a magnetic dipole?

The force on a magnetic dipole in a uniform magnetic field can be calculated using the equation F = m x B, where F is the force, m is the magnetic moment of the dipole, and B is the magnetic field strength. The torque on a magnetic dipole can be calculated using the equation τ = m x B, where τ is the torque, m is the magnetic moment, and B is the magnetic field strength. These equations are based on the cross product between the magnetic moment vector and the magnetic field vector.

4. What factors affect the force and torque on a magnetic dipole?

The force and torque on a magnetic dipole can be affected by several factors, including the strength and direction of the magnetic field, the orientation of the dipole relative to the field, and the distance between the dipole and the source of the magnetic field. Additionally, the size and shape of the dipole, as well as any external forces acting on it, can also impact the force and torque experienced by the dipole.

5. How does understanding force and torque on magnetic dipoles contribute to our understanding of electromagnetism?

Understanding force and torque on magnetic dipoles is crucial for understanding the behavior of electromagnetic systems and phenomena. It allows us to predict and control the movement and behavior of magnetic materials and devices, and is a fundamental aspect of the larger field of electromagnetism. Additionally, studying force and torque on magnetic dipoles can also lead to further advancements and innovations in technology and science.