1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic Dipole

1. Apr 20, 2009 #1

Matterwave

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

So I got a question on a E&M Midterm:

There is a line current of I at the origin going in the Z direction. There is a magnetic dipole of:
    [tex]\vec{m}=m_r\hat{r}+m_\varphi\hat{\varphi}[/tex] located at [tex](r,\varphi)[/tex]. What is the force and torque on this magnetic dipole?

So I used the equations:
    [tex]\vec{F}=-\nabla U=-\nabla(\vec{m}\cdot\vec{B})[/tex]
    [tex]\vec{\tau}=\vec{m}\times\vec{B}[/tex]

I know from Ampere's law that the field is:
    [tex]\vec{B}=\frac{\mu_0 I}{2\pi r}\hat{\varphi}[/tex]

So, I reason that the angle between the field and the dipole is:
    [tex]\theta=\frac{\pi}{2}-tan^{-1}(\frac{m_\varphi}{m_r})[/tex]
    Since the field is only in the [tex]\varphi[/tex] direction, I just drew a triangle.
    Therefore, I got that:
    [tex]\vec{F}=-\nabla(\vec{m}\cdot\vec{B})=-\nabla(mBcos(\theta))=-\nabla(\frac{\mu_0 I}{2\pi r}\sqrt{m_\varphi^2+m_r^2}sin(tan^{-1}(\frac{m_\varphi}{m_r}))=\frac{\mu_0 I}{2\pi r^2}\sqrt{m_\varphi^2+m_r^2}sin(tan^{-1}(\frac{m_\varphi}{m_r}))\hat{r}[/tex]
    [tex]\vec{\tau}=\vec{m}\times\vec{B}=mBsin(\theta)\hat{z}=\frac{\mu_0 I}{2\pi r}\sqrt{m_\varphi^2+m_r^2}cos(tan^{-1}(\frac{m_\varphi}{m_r}))\hat{z}[/tex]

Unfortunately these are all wrong, as far as I can tell from looking at my Professor's solutions. What did I do wrong? =(

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 21, 2009 #2

Matterwave

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I should say what my Professor's answers were:

[tex]F_\varphi=-m_r\frac{B_\varphi}{r}[/tex]
    [tex]\tau_z=-rF_\varphi[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook