Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic Dipoles & eq's

1. Aug 19, 2004 #1

pervect

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

here seems to be some interest in magnetic dipoles, such as spinning electrons, and current loops. So I thought I would start a thread and present some of the relevant equations that describe the forces and fields generated by magnetic dipoles. These equations are very similar to those for electric dipoles, BTW.

A current loop with an area A and carrying a current i has a
    magnetic dipole moment of [tex] \mu = i A [/tex]. The dipole moment is sometimes expressed as a vector [tex] \vec{\mu}[/tex] in which case the vector is perpendicular to the area A.

Some useful properties of the diople moment are given below

Torque generated by an external field [tex] \vec{\mu} \times \vec{B}[/tex]

Energy in an external field [tex] -\vec{\mu} \cdot \vec{B}[/tex]

Field from dipole at distant points along axis |B| = [tex] \frac {\mu_0}{2 \pi} \frac {\mu}{r^3}[/tex]

Field from dipole at distant points along bisector |B| = [tex]\frac {\mu_0}{4 \pi} \frac {\mu}{r^3} [/tex]

Field from dipole, vector form [tex] \vec{B} = \frac {\mu_0 \mu}{4 \pi r^3} (2 cos(\theta) \vec{r} + sin(\theta) \vec{\theta})[/tex]

Net force on dipole from a constant magnetic field zero

Net force on a dipole from a varying magnetic field [tex] \nabla (\vec{\mu} \cdot \vec{B}) [/tex]

Note that the force between two dipoles will drop off with the 4th power of the distance - as the field generated by a dipole is proportional to 1/r^3, the gradient of the field is proportional to 1/r^4, and the force will be the dipole moment multiplied by the field gradient.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 19, 2004 #2

krab

Science Advisor

"Constant" or "varying" usually means w.r.t. time. I think here you mean w.r.t. space, so common usage is "uniform" or "non-uniform".

4. Aug 20, 2004 #3

pervect

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, thats what I mean. To develop a net force, one needs the field to be different at the two ends of the dipole, which means that the field must be varying in space.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?