What is the source of energy in magnets?

In summary, the conversation delved into the topic of magnets and their energy source as the speaker prepares to teach activities related to magnets to a youth group. They discussed the concept of magnetic force and how it is derived from the alignment of particles within a material. They also touched on the relationship between electricity and magnetism and the role of electrons in creating magnetism. The speaker expressed a desire for a simple explanation to understand the concept better.
CraftyDad
Hi, I would appreciate some help here as its been some 25 years since leaving school and I am now expected as part of my duties and training for a youth leader in a cub scout pack to provice some activities in relation to Beaver Cubs and activity badges.

Subject... Magnets.

Now I appreciate that this question may have been asked and please don't shoot me down in flames, the old brain cells have had an addling of 20 odd years and the medication I am on doesn't help with memory.

Magentic force / energy, how is the energy derived in a magnet?

I have watched a youtube posting by the "how its made" TV show on how magnets are made, it however does not answer the burning question of where the energy comes from...

Ignoring any input energy from the user, if two opposing fields come together to repel and likewise come together to attract, where does this magnetic force get its energy from or whatever you want to call it to pull each other together or push away.

I have some practical demonstrations to show things like magnetic line of force / energy and made a rudimentary electro magnet and demonstrations of temporary magnets, Lenz's Law with the magnet going down a copper pipe which is pretty cool.

My worry is that one or more of the Beaver cubs will ask me the question of where do magnets get their energy from and my two options are to suggest we research this further or have the actual answer and I prefer the answer route, keep those hungry minds fed and fattened up :)

So your help is appreciated, anything that you can help me with, you don't really want to see me begging on my knees do you?

Please, keep your answers in terms that I can understand, I read one post and my head imploded.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

The key here is to recognize that force isn't energy, so maintaining a static force requires no energy input. If it did, you could heat up a book just by letting it sit on a table.

Keep it simple I think...

The phenomenon that is Magnetism represents itself through the idea of a Magnetic field. This field is generated in permanent magnets like iron by the permanent magnetic dipoles within the material and in other materials by passing an electric current through them.

Magnetism will therefore be observed when electrically charged particles are in motion within a material. Due to Einstein's Special Relativity though Magnetism and Electricity go hand in hand.

Forgetting what I call niggley details like force / energy in a magnet...

When you put to magnets together that repel each other, the force or resistance of them from being pushed together, apart from the obvious like poles repel, what is it as a property in the magnet that does that?

I understand that atoms / particles or whatever are dis-organised when an item is not magnetic.

What is it that causes magnetisim when atoms / particles are lined up?

CraftyDad said:
What is it that causes magnetism when atoms / particles are lined up?

Each individual atom is a tiny magnet. When they're arranged at random they generally cancel each other out on average. If you can get them to all line up in the same direction (and stay that way! iron is particularly good about that) they add instead of canceling each other.

Ok, so now my greatest fear is this question, why are atoms magnetic.

I can picture an electron buzzing around an atom, I take it that the movement of an electron around the atom this is what causes them to be magnetic, yes?

Last edited:
Yes, paramagnetism and ferromagnetism both come from unpaired electrons. Here is a good brief overview:
http://www.ndt-ed.org/EducationResources/CommunityCollege/MagParticle/Physics/MagneticMatls.htm

Likes 1 person

1. What is magnetic energy?

Magnetic energy is the potential energy stored in a magnetic field. It is created when electrically charged particles are in motion and their movement creates a magnetic field.

2. How is magnetic energy different from other forms of energy?

Magnetic energy is different from other forms of energy because it is stored in a magnetic field, rather than being transferred through a medium like heat or light. It is also a type of potential energy, meaning it has the ability to do work and can be converted into other forms of energy.

3. What is the relationship between magnetic energy and force?

Magnetic energy and force are closely related as they both involve interactions between magnetic fields and charged particles. The force exerted by a magnetic field on a charged particle is related to the amount of magnetic energy stored in the field.

4. How is magnetic energy measured?

Magnetic energy is typically measured in units of joules (J) or electron-volts (eV). These units represent the amount of work that can be done by the magnetic field on a charged particle.

5. How is magnetic energy used in everyday life?

Magnetic energy is used in many everyday devices, such as electric motors, generators, and speakers. It is also used in medical equipment like MRI machines and in transportation systems like maglev trains. Additionally, magnetic energy is harnessed in renewable energy sources such as wind turbines and hydroelectric power plants.